Jbrandon

Critique please

i am only new to leatherwork but i think your belts look very good.  Maybe a centre in the flowers

Thanks. I forgot to mention that the center's will have a colored crystal in them. After I finish them I will repost pictures. Just wanted some advice on the raw product.

You may need to slow down a bit on the edge groover to keep it straight, It has gone off line a bit on the left belt. And run a modeling spoon around your edges to soften them a bit. Other than that, they look good.

many many points to address, but for starters- I would not go the crystal and finishing route with these. I would plan on these being practice pieces. take some leather and copy this pattern2,3,4 times and carve each one. You WILL get better with each try. I wouldn't waste leather on practice. Call this a loss but a great chance to improve !

When you do get to making your belt. take care in cutting the border. If you're going to keep the design INSIDE the lines then you can cut it first . If you want the leaves to overlap like you showed, then allow for that and cut it later (after you scribe the lines)

STUDY the artists here as to what this style should look like. There are words class pieces all over here!!!!!!

The crosses seem a little out of place to be honest.

The only thing that bothers me is your edge groove cutting through the leaves.  Is that groove going to hold stitches?  If so you should keep the design within the lines.  Otherwise tool your design and then groove around the leaves. I think they look good.

The biggest thing I see is it looks like you're carving with your leather too wet.  You'll find you get a much cleaner result with leather thats moist, not wet.  This and more time behind your tools will help you improve.  As stated before, there is a way to artistically go outside the border lines.  This makes the eye wonder what happened.