Sign in to follow this  
Brigid's Forge

Interactive demonstrations via chat technology?

How about an interactive demonstration and discussion?

It mainly uses the Chat feature and a posted log-on time.

This was done for a while by a blacksmithing group with fair results; the transcripts are still at iForge so you can see what I mean.

Robert Shinn

I would like to know what the technical requirements are to do something like that.

Would being on a dial up preclude providing that ?

I spent two weeks at a Horseshoeing/Blacksmithing course in 1987 in Mineral Wells where Bill Epps from that iForge site was assisting the aging owner of the school... and showed us those cool decorative items like the longhorn on the end of a horseshoe...

Greg

How about an interactive demonstration and discussion?

It mainly uses the Chat feature and a posted log-on time.

This was done for a while by a blacksmithing group with fair results; the transcripts are still at iForge so you can see what I mean.

Robert Shinn

If we have the volunteers to serve as instructors, and students who are willing to learn, I can handle the technical end of it. And would be thrilled to do so.

Johanna

LOL, I did not express my question well...

What equipment would I have to have here at my house in order to provide a demonstration ?

I don't think anyone will be able to see what I am going with no digital imagining device attached to my computer/ISP... or are you saying that if I place the wet leather on my keyboard when I am stamping that you ... many states away, can ' interpret' those inputs for others to see what I am doing ? And, How long will this plastic keyboard last with me using a mallet on it ? LOL... if yes, we can make a lot of money because you are clearly in the realm of supernatural computer Tech...

LOL,

Greg

I have a digital camer... but not a digital video recorder ....can that be used as input device ?

please delete this after you see it... LOL

If we have the volunteers to serve as instructors, and students who are willing to learn, I can handle the technical end of it. And would be thrilled to do so.

Johanna

The instructor would need a simple webcam and and a microphone, no other hardware required.

Johanna

Let me know when y'all get to the adults only part, I'll run out and buy a bigger monitor :rofl:

I went to that site and those are kind of neat. If something like that could be done here, I would be happy to make up a few lessons on things that I know how to do.

Clay

As a custom knifemaker, we regularly use step by step photo tutorials much like iforge does but photos, i have done several forging tutorials with a short to sometimes long descripton of whats going on in each photo this way, as they say a picture is worth a million and once posted in a thread everyone can ask questions ect and then perhaps the could be pinned for others to come to later. Id be willing to do a sheath tutorial on how i do it, make it fit the knife correctly ect.

Edited by Romey

romey...i'm sure i speak for admin when i say this...if you'd like to make your tutorial either in a PM or maybe...if you would like to post it in this thread (as if you were starting a new thread) i'm sure we'd be able to review it and maybe make formatting suggestions and what not...that way...maybe we can kind of get started with a tutorial section here....for...somewhat static tutorials...

As a custom knifemaker, we regularly use step by step photo tutorials much like iforge does but photos, i have done several forging tutorials with a short to sometimes long descripton of whats going on in each photo this way, as they say a picture is worth a million and once posted in a thread everyone can ask questions ect and then perhaps the could be pinned for others to come to later. Id be willing to do a sheath tutorial on how i do it, make it fit the knife correctly ect.

My vote is to just post it in the correct section that deals with knife sheaths. That way people can find it. Writting an instructional article with pictures is not rocket science. People do it all the time. That is what magazines are made of.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon

Writting an instructional article with pictures is not rocket science. People do it all the time. That is what magazines are made of.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon

Tom said it all. We do it all the time on Custom Knife forums some using this very same invision board. Often very good ones are "pinned" at the top of whatever the subject is relevant too,others have tutorial categories where all tutorials are placed. Just some ideas for you.

Edited by Romey

Well, c'mon people...we have unlimited webspace, and I doubt there is much dsenette and I couldn't figure out tech wise. We need material and content, no problems I can foresee in presenting it, and the interest from the members and guests is certainly here. Who wants to be first?

Johanna

an instructional article with pictures is not rocket science. People do it all the time. That is what magazines are made of.

just for my 2 cents on this...i agree...thre's nothing to writing up a tutorial or article or anything...as long as you've got the skills to back it up (which i know you guys do)....the difference here (and in the magazines it's the same) is formatting and consistancy...we would like for it to look proffessional...not just like a bunch of steps thrown into a pot....now...like i said...you guys probably won't have to worry about the formatting...me and johanna can take care of that...i'm just saying....