Sign in to follow this  
pepin1948

Unused snap parts

I have a customer who regularly orders wristbands which take 6 snaps, see attached pic. My problem is that it uses only 2 of one side of the snap, and 6 of the others! What use, if any, is there for the other half? At this point, I just toss 'em.

AntiochFeb06.jpg

post-3-1151545247_thumb.jpg

The reason behind the six snaps is allow for either growth of the wrist, or to allow more than one person use the wrist that has a different size wrist. Basically it is to allow for the difference in the diameter of different wrists. I hope that is clearer than what it sounds like.

I have several hundred of the other half of the big dot snaps you use for Tonneau covers on pick up trucks, if anyone wants them... :whistle: Why is it that a leatherworker cannot bear to throw anything away? "There is no such thing as scrap!" is the first thing I learned. Then I attempted to learn to carve and found out how to waste perfectly good leather. :rolleyes2:

Johanna

I knew their reason for the design of the band; I just found it frustrating to toss the unused backs. Of course I included the cost of the hardware in the order, but still...

I too find it hard to toss stuff - ESPECIALLY leather scraps. But I've gotten better about recognizing what is just too small or scarred to be usable.

Holly,

I have seen places where you can order just one side. I think I have even seen the parts listed separate. You might try some of the suppliers to see if they can help you out. Hope this helps. Other then that the only other suggestion would be to do some the other way and have more of the snap tops, maybe combine them with other decorations like spots.

Tom Katzke

I have a customer who regularly orders wristbands which take 6 snaps, see attached pic. My problem is that it uses only 2 of one side of the snap, and 6 of the others! What use, if any, is there for the other half? At this point, I just toss 'em.

AntiochFeb06.jpg

It'd be great to find somewhere that had them separately - thanks for the advice! :)

Check with Ohio Travel Bag, If you have a resale # and are willing to make a $100 minimum order, they carry the seperate parts I believe.

Their website is www.ohiotravelbag.com

Sandi

McMaster Carr also sell the components individually. http://www.mcmaster.com/