I made this for a lady shooter.  She shoots black powder with a mexican loop style holster set up now.  The holsters were not made for cowboy action, so they are 1 layer, floppy and too restrictive.  I took Johanna's SLIM JIM pattern from this forum (thank you) cut it down and reshaped it to make this rig.  I normally make the holsters much more minimal for competition rigs.  This holster (I hope) maintains the original feel of the Slim Jim, Old West holsters.
  The holsters are around 12/13 oz and the belt is maybe 14 oz or slightly more. Fully lined (of course)   I distressed the finish to, hopefully give it some charachter. Dark Brown Fiebings oil dye. 3/8 spots

The belt is preshaped for comfort.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by HBAR

Very nicely done.

VEG (very extra great) !! 

Good job, . . . really nice looking rig.

Whenever I see a Western gun rig like this or similar, . . . and there are no bullet loops on the back, . . . I always think of Bonanza.

Hoss, Adam, Little Joe, and their "father" all had belts without ammo.  

When I started to make my first western rig, . . . I couldn't wait to see an old Gunsmoke, or Bonanza rerun, . . . I wanted to see how many they had.  To my great disappointment, . . . Bonanza didn't, . . . 

Thanks for the pleasant memory.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

I used to make the rigs with loops. People dont want them. I sometimes put 5 on one hip.  Mostly the game of Cowboy Action is played by  older people.  They dont want the weight of the guns and a full cartridge belt too. Basically  a match entails standing for 4-5 hours with all the gear.  Now people have a few extra cartridge loops on either their shotgun belt or shotgun slide.   Personally I like having an actual cartridge belt, but for the game there is no real reason to.

Edited by HBAR

3 hours ago, HBAR said:

Dwight,

I used to make the rigs with loops. People dont want them. I sometimes put 5 on one hip.  Mostly the game of Cowboy Action is played by  older people.  They dont want the weight of the guns and a full cartridge belt too. Basically  a match entails standing for 4-5 hours with all the gear.  Now people have a few extra cartridge loops on either their shotgun belt or shotgun slide.   Personally I like having an actual cartridge belt, but for the game there is no real reason to.

My customer market is just the opposite.  I'm quoting out a holster plus cross draw plus knife sheath, . . . and he wants 24 loops on the belt.

Different markets...........

tnhomestead said:

That is due to their special guns that never needed reloading! LOL

Yep, . . . that's a good giggle...........

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

That looks great! I'm curious about the lacing on the backsides, what is that for?

2 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

That looks great! I'm curious about the lacing on the backsides, what is that for?

Its just another way to secure  the belt tunnel area.  You could sew it of course or use some sort of metallic fastners, but for a holster with no skirt, I like this style.   You punch holes only through one layer of the holster before you glue. You mark the holes on the liner  and make sure you dont glue where the lace will go through.  It doesnt show inside.

Edited by HBAR

That is kinda cool, I've never seen that before.

Looks fantastic!