zaynexpetty

What size Tiger thread?

Hey all,

Just wondering what size (mm) tiger thread is recommended for 8 spi. I read a post that suggested .8 mm for 8 spi. Just wondering if anyone else has tested this. I am currently using tandy's craftool pro 8 spi chisel.

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of going smaller to say, .6 mm thread?

Thanks!

Zayne

Edited by zaynexpetty

It depends on the look I'm going for and what I'm sewing.  I usually use .8mm for 8.5 spi.  I think .8mm is a perfect size for 8 spi.  To me, .6mm tiger thread would be too small for 8spi, but I tend to like the look of a thicker thread.  I think generally .8mm is the best for around 8spi.

Also wanted to add that with the chisels your using, I'm pretty sure .6mm thread at 8spi would not even fill up the holes from the chisel.  Not sure that would look too good.  If you were using a thin awl you could deff use .6mm thread if that's the look you're going for, but with those chisels I think I would buy the .8mm thread.

On 12/29/2016 at 7:47 PM, trailrunner said:

Also wanted to add that with the chisels your using, I'm pretty sure .6mm thread at 8spi would not even fill up the holes from the chisel.  Not sure that would look too good.  If you were using a thin awl you could deff use .6mm thread if that's the look you're going for, but with those chisels I think I would buy the .8mm thread.

I ended up getting some of the 8mm thread and it seems like it will be perfect. Its amazing how much better the quality is compared to tandy's thread.

I have .8 and 1mm. Use .8 for 8spi and 1 for 6 spi. I have some .6 for 10 spi too. But in the end it's all about what YOU think looks best.