I have used dyes in the past, but I like the way stain looks on leather, so that's what I've been using exclusively for some years now.

It seems like everyone here uses dyes, so I'm mainly asking the question because I'm a little curious if suppliers would ever consider discontinuing selling stains.

I sometimes see people say stain, but they're really talking about dye. But stain is stain and dye is dye. They take different and they look different.

So what do you all prefer and/or use, stain or dye?

To me it's kinda like the argument:  are they frankfurters or are they hot dogs?

Put mustard, ketchup, relish, onions, and garlic powder on em, . . . hard to tell.

Same way I understand stain and dye, . . . once the Resolene is on it and a .45 auto is being carried in it, . . . not sure it makes a difference.

But I may be wrong, . . . have been before, . . . will be again.

May God bless,

Dwight

4 minutes ago, Dwight said:

To me it's kinda like the argument:  are they frankfurters or are they hot dogs?

Put mustard, ketchup, relish, onions, and garlic powder on em, . . . hard to tell.

Same way I understand stain and dye, . . . once the Resolene is on it and a .45 auto is being carried in it, . . . not sure it makes a difference.

But I may be wrong, . . . have been before, . . . will be again.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the input. I like the way stain looks better than dye. I'll put you down for dyes :)

I use both, and I include Antiques into the mix as well.  My finishing decision is based on the project at hand and what the intended outcome is to be.  I rarely, if ever, use anything other than Antique on stamped or carved & tooled designs but stains do add some depth to certain patterns that work well (Basketweave for example) and dyes are for that super rich, deep penetrating look that just shouts, "I am here to stay" on the finished product.  Everything has its place and out trade is no different than anything else.

8 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

I use both, and I include Antiques into the mix as well.  My finishing decision is based on the project at hand and what the intended outcome is to be.  I rarely, if ever, use anything other than Antique on stamped or carved & tooled designs but stains do add some depth to certain patterns that work well (Basketweave for example) and dyes are for that super rich, deep penetrating look that just shouts, "I am here to stay" on the finished product.  Everything has its place and out trade is no different than anything else.

Yes, you're right of course. I too like antique's and all in one's as long as it's stain. I've used dyes in the past but I find that stains give the patterns depth as you said. Thank you for your input.

It is all semantics.  Dye is a synonym for stain and vice versa.  The difference in the name is totally up to the manufacture.  Example:  Water Stain is sold as a stain, but the product is called dye by the manufacture (Finiche, not sure about the spelling).

I use Feibings. I like the stain but don't care for the dyes. I hear what you're saying, but Fiebings at least they're very different. I wish they sold it in bigger bottles though.