hwhleather

Forming holsters

I have seen a lot of holsters wet formed with a lot of detail of weapon showing through the leather and am trying to figure it out so I figured maybe someone on here could help. In the past when I have formed holsters I have dipped the holster in water at 160 degrees for about five seconds and then formed by hand with a bone folder and modeling spoon for around 20 minutes give or take, and I get the basic outline but I would like to see more detail, so if you have any tips or tricks I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

Actually, what you describe sounds pretty good!  If you're not getting crisp detail, your leather may be either too wet or not wet enough.

I think what the OP is referring to may be similar to this Galco holster.

In reality, . . . the forming probably does show up on the inside also, . . . but no where to the extent it shows up on this outside image.

This is simply a different form of leaves and petals, . . . vines and cacti decorating the outside of the holster.  It is molded, yes, to a certain extent with the outlines of the gun involved, . . . but it is not a perfect 3D exterior of the weapon.

If we were talking Western movies, . . . we would call this the "hollywood" effect, . . . of molding.

Don't get me wrong, . . . lots of folks like this look, . . . I just don't happen to share their passion.  I'm a bit more subdued in my work.

May God bless,

Dwight

Image result for molded leather holsters

Yes I actually was thinking something like that galco, mine is fine functionally but I do like that look.

Right now I am trying it a different way, with this one I just sprayed with a spray bottle as needed and formed with my modeling spoon and now I am baking it. I like using hot water as described above because then Its unnecessary to bake it because it dries nice and hard, but this time I wasn't using a molding prop I was using a real handgun and its not mine so I didn't want it quite so wet and with the other method I noticed edge kote coming off and getting on the gun which I don't care about on my molding props but I am not gonna do that to a real handgun, but I did wrap it in saran wrap so it should have been fine anyway.

The one thing I WILL NOT DO is done in that picture:  heavily model inside the trigger guard.

A striker fired weapon "could" fire if that hunk of leather gets in there far enough, . . . and there was a somewhat interesting story about a guy a couple years ago, . . . cheap holster folded up into his trigger guard, . . . guy was rasslin' with the seat belt, . . . moved his CCW, . . . "BOOM", . . . shot him in his butt cheek, down thru the car seat, . . . thru the floor board of the car, . . . and into the blacktop.

I just leave the tunnel for the trigger and guard, . . . make it tight on the rim of the trigger guard, . . . but nothing protruding into the guard as in this photograph.

Safety is always paramount for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

I dont know if galco is using horse or cowhide but I have handled many and the leather is fairly thin. The thickness of the leather is going to make a great deal of difference in your being able to get a really tight mold like that. I have done some smaller guns using 6/7 oz and get really nice detail but I dont get the same detail from 8/9 oz. You just cant .. It wont make the same bends.

5 seconds in water sounds like it is way to long. I usually just take a roasting pan filled with water and dip and then turn over and dip. Then I stick it in a sealed plastic bag for some 30 minutes and I can bring up good tight detail using just my thumbs and a bone folder.

I'm gonna go with Alex here.. most of those holsters are running about 6/7 oz (and I've actually seen some like 4/5 oz!)  It's that same old tired inside radius/outside radius story I keep on tellin'... the thicker the leather, the wider the bend (which is what Alex said, just different spelling).

Personally, I want it INSANELY detailed on the INSIDE.. for grip/friction, but not maybe so highly detailed on the outside - after all the idea is concealment, not ADVERTISING ;)

I just finished a couple for a friend, . . . Rhodesian style, . . . at times, . . . I began to think a razor knife would be how I got my molds back.

He'll have fun getting them to "where he wants them", . . . but for now, . . . they'll hold onto the gun worse than a democrat holding his own money.

I used the old vacuum bag on all three, . . . actually broke my double stack magazine mold, . . . trying to get it out.

On the left is an H&K USP .45, . . . the right is a Glock 21.

May God bless,

Dwight

rhodesian order.JPG

Edited by Dwight
stuff I forgot

This is how I address Dwights concern about completely blocking in the trigger guard and the potential danger with strikers. I bone deeply the bottom and side of the inside of the trigger guard. but dont block in the whole thing. It helps to give a little POP to my holsters when the gun is inserted but cant activate the trigger.

DSCF6797sm.JPG

889.jpg

I've had people ask for "no molding in teh trigger" just because they don't like the way it looks after some use, with the guard pulling at the leather fibers.