Recently made this for a family member. No patterns available, so had to come up with this on my own. There's some flaws, but over all I'm ok with it for a first try. Open to comments. Thanks

KNIFE SHEATH.JPG

KNIFE SHEATH SIDE VIEW.JPG

I like it but I'd be concerned about retention, what's keeping it in the sheath?  Will the knife come loose under adverse circumstances?  If you were fighting with someone would it come out and get lost or worse yet put the knife in the bad guy's hands?  I think as long as that thing stays put until you pull it you may have a winner there.  I like unusual designs so that one looks pretty good to me.

Stu

overall, not bad but I did notice a few things

1. stitch line for the end of the blade over runs the stitch line for the belt hole on t he left side

2. can't tell if there is a welt around the blade to prevent the sharp edge from cutting the thread

3. no retention strap or other way of holding knife in the sheath as stu pointed out

4. Personal preference but I would have included a back guard between the right belt hole and around the top of the blade

Thanks for the feedback. There is a welt for the blade. third layer with blade cutout to protect the stitches. I debated for a long time on adding the retention strap, hard to see in these photos, but there is a notch cut where the finger guard is on the bottom and the knife drops into that when it is placed in the sheath. The person I made it for told me the retention is tight, and he fell asleep with it on and the knife never moved. The stitch being close to the belt loop was a miss calculation on my part and I agree that it should have been further from the blade. I appreciate the feedback, the only way to keep improving is through someone else eyes.