Tholek

LeatherCrafting.org l Covering Every aspect of leather work.

14 minutes ago, TonyRV2 said:

Since no one asked...here's my take on this. :rolleyes2:  You have a guy that wants to start a leathercraft site...fine, the more the merrier I say.  However, this person is obviously no expert on leather crafting and so comes begging here for experts to cross over and give his site some legitimacy.  This is no way to start a website.  If the op had any credibility what so ever, he/she would already be an expert with leather and would have posted articles to their website which supported this, otherwise what possible motivation would there be to do this.  I can think of only one...profit from advertisers and supporters.  I know the op stated that this was not the case, but if so, then why not just support what already has been done here?  This person has outright stated that he would like to steal a few experts away from this sight, pay them a stipend, and give them their own personal forum.  I think this is what members here find most objectionable.  This tactic would be objectionable no matter the business one was in.  My advise to the op would be to develop your own expertise in leather, post what you've learned, and if its good, people will come.  But don't come here trying to steal folks away just because you don't possess the knowledge to pull it off yourself...very bad form

And all said sensibly, with no threats or abuse.

I salute you, and agree with you.

But whether anyone finds the idea palatable or not,  I honestly do not see where the harm or threat lies to this forum by letting folk know about it.   

I was perusing this site just the other day and there were quite a few members who very disturbed at the tone in which some conversations will turn to here on this site. Right or wrong everyone is entitled to there own ridiculous opinion a saying a former instructor use to say,  and also looking at it from a business point of view some people are always in fear that someone else is going to steel your customers.  However if your product is strong and skills sets are as equally as good then there is enough to go around for everyone.  Many many years ago I use to be in the wedding photography business, and there would be bridal shows that would be held in convention halls, or malls, or some type or large venue that can handle hundreds of people.  And of course as a vendor there is always some competition that has bought a booth at the same show, now to some this would be scary to others they welcomed the opportunity to show their work versus the others work.  Some people are just plain scared of competition some welcome it.  I jump around all little there but I think you get the idea the strong will shine and the weak will not, that is what sets this great country apart from the rest of the near do wells and sometimes there is just enough to go around for everyone.

Think about it is all I am saying, there may be people out there that have been lurking in the shadows and might feel intimidated by coming here due to other harsh criticism others have received, so all it does is give them another avenue to be expressive, no man is an island.  hammer on me if you want I got the brass to tell ya what I think cause it wont affect me were all behind a computer screen unseen to one another.  Right now I am working on a youtube video with a big moulon labbe flag in the background. :)

Edited by OLDNSLOW

38 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Think about it is all I am saying, there may be people out there that have been lurking in the shadows and might feel intimidated by coming here due to other harsh criticism others have received, so all it does is give them another avenue to be expressive, no man is an island.  hammer on me if you want I got the brass to tell ya what I think cause it wont affect me were all behind a computer screen unseen to one another.  Right now I am working on a youtube video with a big moulon labbe flag in the background. :)

If they are intimidated or thin skinned, unfortunately, the web is no place for them. It is full of trolls and bullies, who can run their mouth from the safety of their home, knowing that it is unlikely they will ever be face to face with their targeted victim. Fortunately, not everyone is like that, and you can find comradery,, helpful tips, and honest critique in any forum as well.

So very true on all points but there is enough room in a world wide web for more than one site and for more than one site to prosper and grow, that is all what we are all here for, just like there are more than one publication in most cases, like gun publications, rifle publications, and so on.  I don't think each of those pubs called the other upstarts to tell them how dare you we are all ready here so but out.  Let the new site go on and it or wont grow or fail on it's own accord, some of the people that instruct here may find a source of income there for doing the same thing, however have you heard the saying those that do, do, and those that cant teach?  there is a lot of truth behind that.  someone might have a great speaking voice and could do radio and TV commercials but is never found or heard of till they find the right outlet.  there is more than one news station and God forbid we would all think CNN is truth full like you can never let a good tragedy go to waste!   

2 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I was perusing this site just the other day and there were quite a few members who very disturbed at the tone in which some conversations will turn to here on this site. Right or wrong everyone is entitled to there own ridiculous opinion a saying a former instructor use to say,  and also looking at it from a business point of view some people are always in fear that someone else is going to steel your customers.  However if your product is strong and skills sets are as equally as good then there is enough to go around for everyone.  Many many years ago I use to be in the wedding photography business, and there would be bridal shows that would be held in convention halls, or malls, or some type or large venue that can handle hundreds of people.  And of course as a vendor there is always some competition that has bought a booth at the same show, now to some this would be scary to others they welcomed the opportunity to show their work versus the others work.  Some people are just plain scared of competition some welcome it.  I jump around all little there but I think you get the idea the strong will shine and the weak will not, that is what sets this great country apart from the rest of the near do wells and sometimes there is just enough to go around for everyone.

Yeah but I would bet if someone took your photos, copied them, then came back to your booth and started selling them as there own you would not be so welcoming of the competition. Could be wrong but I doubt it. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Oh I have had that happen in a sense, or last go around was to Pop Warner and the like in children's football when digital first came on the scene, we had a 23 foot trailer we would pull out filled with computers servers and printers, so that we could photographa game and have the photos up soon after the game so that parents could view and buy right there.  Well digital cameras came down in price and all the people could afford them it happened one day,  we had a full booth of people looking and a mom came over and said don't buy anything lil Johnnies grandpa took photos of everyone and he will give everyone a cd, everyone got up and left.  Well we never went back to the field and only went to locations where we warmly welcomed and wouldn't allow for other shooters on the field, but then sold it all soon after and left it all behind.  It does suck, you find your way around it pick up your boot straps and keep moving on.

Yeah, but again, there is a HUGE difference between a working pro's work, and lil Johnie's gramp's. I went through that when I was doing video work. Lot's of folks could take their handycam and shoot some video. Mine was NOT a handycam, and I knew how to frame properly, used a good shotgun mic, and knew how to edit and sync.That is why I got hired to do a job, and not just do it as a hobby.

"however have you heard the saying those that do, do, and those that cant teach".   That's only a partial quote .. "Those that can, do.  Those that can't teach.  Those that can't teach coach gym class."   :lol: