momster

Good Morning from artic Michigan

I just found your forum! I have an embroidery business where when I am not stitching for a customer, I am able to digitize designs for customers around the world. I started out at Ford's then went private. My favorite niche in life is cars! Classics, muscle, lifted..all of them!! I also have come across the need for some leather and vinyl work. Customers that LOVE their wheels need all kinds of embroidered accessories. My husband surprised me with a Chandler C-241 over Christmas. There isn't much info on this machine and hopefully someone knows what I now have. We are cleaning and oiling it up, I know I need 1 thumb screw for the top tensioner but so far pretty clean. We found pic of a Juki 280L that looks just like it, so are moving on with searching for that. I am hoping someone knows of this machine and can steer me in the right direction!!

Thank you,

Diane Ramsey

www.momsterdesigns.com

the first machine is mine, the 2nd Juki is one I found online..everything looks the same. Then I tossed in a few cars!

chandler pic my machine.jpg

juki 280.jpg

1931 Hudson.jpg

Texaco Mustangs.jpg

prowlertux.jpg

Nick's Dodge Ram 1500 JB.jpg

427 Cobra 1965 jb.jpg

1972 Plymouth Duster JB.jpg

Hiya Mom! Welcome to the forums, you'll find all sorts of people that know their machines here... I'm just not one of them ;) I love your car work, that is awesome stuff, and I look forward to seeing more of it!

Just moved your post to Leather Sewing Machines where I think you will get more responses to your questions.

Tom

25 minutes ago, momster said:

I My husband surprised me with a Chandler C-241 over Christmas. There isn't much info on this machine and hopefully someone knows what I now have. We are cleaning and oiling it up, I know I need 1 thumb screw for the top tensioner but so far pretty clean. We found pic of a Juki 280L that looks just like it, so are moving on with searching for that. I am hoping someone knows of this machine and can steer me in the right direction

Thanks! Love your handle:lol:..I am looking around and new possibilities are running around in my head! Many of my car guys want leather/vinyl cases for EVERYTHING!! and all with their logos embroidered on it. My small home machine isn't practical, so I have stepped up my game. Sure hope there isn't a large learning curve!

I am sorry Tom...where am I??

7 minutes ago, momster said:

Relax, and don't panic... you are in Michigan :rofl:

20 minutes ago, momster said:

Forums > Fabrication > Leather Sewing Machines

There is also a temporary link from your original post location for 6 days.

Tom

That Chandler C-241 likely started life as a Juki DNU-241HS (or a Nakajima 280L). Chandler sold re-badged machines from various manufacturers over the years.

The Juki DNU241HS manual, should be a good starting point.

The Juki DNU-241HS Parts List should help identify part numbers of missing bits.

Your machine will likely have some stamped metal parts underneath or inside that will give you a clue as to the original manufacturer. 

Edited by Uwe

1 hour ago, momster said:

My husband surprised me with a Chandler C-241 over Christmas. There isn't much info on this machine and hopefully someone knows what I now have.

If you look up a Juki DNU-241 or a Nakajima 280-L I think you will find the info you are after.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

Thanks...thats where we are heading. there is a 280-L stamped on the bottom. Itdoes take M bobbins...is it recommended to wind your own or are the pre-wounds acceptable for these machines? I use the magna-glides in my embroidery machines and like very much...any suggestions or preferred supplieirs?

thanks Diane

Momster

Pre-wounds will work fine as long as you can get the sizes and colors you need on the bottom. Otherwise, buy a dozen M bobbins and wind your own colors and sizes. The machine will handle thread sizes up to #138.

The 280 types are dual feed machines, with teeth on the moving presser and feed dog and on the static (vertical motion only) inside foot. The needle is also static and moves up and down. This is okay for upholstery leather, cloth, webbing and Naugahyde, but not veg-tan or bridle leather.

I pretty much wind all my own...its hard to get prewounds in the color/size/style and materials I use, but I do synthetic fabrics as a rule. The M style bobbin is pretty popular and the colors needed to do most leather should be less an issue.

-DC

M size pre-wound bobbins are sold in a wide range of colors and thread types for modern long arm quilting machines. But, I would still wind my own for bonded nylon thread in sizes 69, 92 and 138.

On 1/8/2017 at 1:21 PM, Wizcrafts said:

The 280 types are dual feed machines, with teeth on the moving presser and feed dog and on the static (vertical motion only) inside foot. The needle is also static and moves up and down. This is okay for upholstery leather, cloth, webbing and Naugahyde, but not veg-tan or bridle leather.

Wiz,

Check the parts books, this machine in question here is not a top bottom feed machine; it's a true compound walking foot, four motion, with top, bottom, and needle feed with alternating presser feet.  Uses common Singer 111W walking foot type presser feet.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Oops. I was thinking about a National 280 that was in the shop I used to work in. It had dual feed and tore up veg-tan leather.

does anyone have recommendations for a supplier that will carry thread, bobbins and maybe small parts? Hopefully in the US?

I know I need M size bobbins, and a tensioner nut so far!

Thanks Diane

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines sells bobbins, needles, thread and all manner of accessories for all types of industrial sewing equipment. I even buy my sewing machine Lily oil there.