immiketoo

Stealing Pictures of Others Work

On 3/18/2017 at 4:58 PM, Sceaden said:

On a slightly different note, what are your thoughts on "stealing" someone else's design idea? Do you typically contact them and ask them if you can use it or is reverse engineering based on photos considered ok? 

For example, this Carving Thumb Guard is a cool idea that looks fast and easy to make with a good profit margin, is it ok to basically rip off the design since it is so universal? 

Same thing in the holster world.  Only so many ways to wrap a gun in leather.  That said, there are many stylistic cues that are "borrowed" all the time.

there also someone behind 'grleather' - if you scroll the posts, you'll notice that all of the content do not belong to grleather or whatever

is there anyone from the forum, who recognizes own products, and as a next step to push instagram to shut down the page??

On 1/15/2017 at 0:19 PM, NVLeatherWorx said:

you can use his patterns to create works that you sell but you cannot reproduce the content of his writings in any fashion

This is - in a nutshell - the essence of copyright law.  If you purchase a pattern, or instructions, etc -- you have the right to make goods from that, INCLUDING items for future sale. What is actually protected is the WRITING ITSELF.

Keep in mind always... a copyright is only good to the extent that it is enforced.  You can send letters all day long to "tell" someone not to use your images (patterns, articles, whatever) but to actually stop them you would need a judgment, which is neither instantaneous or free.

16 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

This is - in a nutshell - the essence of copyright law.  If you purchase a pattern, or instructions, etc -- you have the right to make goods from that, INCLUDING items for future sale. What is actually protected is the WRITING ITSELF.

Keep in mind always... a copyright is only good to the extent that it is enforced.  You can send letters all day long to "tell" someone not to use your images (patterns, articles, whatever) but to actually stop them you would need a judgment, which is neither instantaneous or free.

there is no such a thing like judgement.
yes, there are countries, where everything is based on law and very strict; and there are countries, where no one gives 'anything' to it

What I mean, is just human being in it's base

Yeah, I'm just talking about the U.S., since I wouldn't know anything about anywhere else.  Copyright law is not "somebody's opinion" or a "feeling" here.

Copyright Law in the United States. Copyright law in the U.S. is governed by federal statute, namely the Copyright Act of 1976. The Copyright Act prevents the unauthorized copying of a work of authorship. However, only the copying of the work is prohibited--anyone may copy the ideas contained within a work.... (etc.)

I always get a "kick" though, out of those people who make something with Dr Who, Mickey Mouse, or Harley-Davidson, and then accuse others of copying them! :rofl:

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Yeah, I'm just talking about the U.S., since I wouldn't know anything about anywhere else.  Copyright law is not "somebody's opinion" or a "feeling" here.

Copyright Law in the United States. Copyright law in the U.S. is governed by federal statute, namely the Copyright Act of 1976. The Copyright Act prevents the unauthorized copying of a work of authorship. However, only the copying of the work is prohibited--anyone may copy the ideas contained within a work.... (etc.)

I always get a "kick" though, out of those people who make something with Dr Who, Mickey Mouse, or Harley-Davidson, and then accuse others of copying them! :rofl:

Those items (Dr. Who, Mickey Mouse, etc.) are all protected items as the images and anything attached to them as is stated in their registration and copyright filings so ANYONE who makes an item that contains anything of that nature is in violation of U.S. Federal Code and is subject to imprisonment, a fine, or both and these are indeed enforced very stringently within out court system.  You would not believe the number of people who have found themselves standing in front of a Judge for making an item that included the Harley Davidson logo (just one example, this is the case for ALL Trademarked and Copyrighted images/logos, and writings); it is common here in my area and yet there is still those who think that they won't get caught, that is until they bring their stuff out for sale at a local craft fair or other such event and find themselves being shut down.  I know of people who have lost everything they own just because they thought that they could get away with it, WRONG!