Wulfing

dyeing resisting technique

Unfortunately not, I don't think much of anything resists oil dyes.

Believe it or not, 2 things work really well, but are a but awkward to apply.

The first is liquid latex rubber.  I got mine from Hobby Lobby.  It's kind of pricey at $19 for 16 fluid oz. They often have 40% off coupons that help. It has a VERY strong ammonia smell and has a shelf life of maybe a year or so. Then it begins setting up in the bottle.. like contact cement does.

The second is rubber cement.  Sounds weird, but it works just like the latex rubber and a heck of a lot cheaper. 

I apply a couple of coats.  Most of what I do is stamping and I apply it with a brush. I have some that I only use with the rubber cement. Clean up with DA or Acetone.

If you get it where you don't want it, let it dry and scrape it off with an xacto. You don't want to scrape the leather if you can help it.

As for the awkward to apply part, you need to try to get it down into the recesses of the stampings or cuts. If you don't, the dye will flow down into the grooves and seep under the resist at the edges. And of course, you probably don't want to dip dye as you have a good chance of seeping through from the back.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

I stand corrected! I will have to experiment with those techniques.

On 1/31/2017 at 5:43 PM, TomG said:

let it dry and scrape it off with an xacto.

YIKES!  You might try removing it with an art gum eraser.  Lifts it right off... no scratchin' 

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

YIKES!  You might try removing it with an art gum eraser.  Lifts it right off... no scratchin' 

Never thought of that!  Good idea.  Thanks.  I wonder if they make a gum eraser pen?  I know they make eraser pens for use in drafting and so on... If I DO get stray cement on it, it's usually right there at the outer edge of the stamped groove on letters, for example.... But no scratch is much better than maybe scratched <g>

Thanks. I have since discovered if I make my beveling deeper the leather dye just stays behind those walls so its not so bad now. I've also improved my dying techniques. No matter how many books you read or videos you watch you cant beat learning for yourself as you go lol