T Moore Medicine Hat Saddlery

Wheat pasture doctoring bag pattern

I remember seeing an article in The Leather Crafters Journal about how to make them, and I'm sure a pattern was included. I have no idea which year or which issue it was.  Around the same time, every local farm and ranch store and mail order and online catalog started carrying them for about half of what I figured it would take me to make them, so I thought it was pointless to try a set.  Not much help I'm afraid, but maybe it'll jog the memory of someone who has a better memory than I do or has time to look through the last 15 years of Leather Crafters Journals!!  Short of finding a pattern, it just wouldn't be too difficult to make your own pattern.  Figure out what you want to carry ( a couple 100 ml bottles, 500 ml bottle, syringe, extra needles) and get to work designing it. 

Don't know if this would help...or if this is the type you are referring to.

I had to replace the handle on this one for a friend and took a few pictures for future reference.

The most difficult to find is the hinge - they are expensive!!

20140530_114811.jpg

20140530_114826.jpg

20140530_114900.jpg

20140530_115118.jpg

20140530_115619.jpg

On 1/30/2017 at 7:41 AM, dirkba said:

Don't know if this would help...or if this is the type you are referring to.

I had to replace the handle on this one for a friend and took a few pictures for future reference.

The most difficult to find is the hinge - they are expensive!!

20140530_114811.jpg

20140530_114826.jpg

20140530_114900.jpg

20140530_115118.jpg

20140530_115619.jpg

Hi Dirkba, This relates to the picture of the bag more than the original posted question. I've just been given one of these bags with the same closure hardware. The leather is rotten and very old so i'm going to make a new bag for it out of 4mm thick veg tan and lined with pigskin. Can you tell me what this type of bag and closure is called so I can name it when its time to sell it?? Also any idea what period / dates these type of bags were made in? Cheers

Hi Wulfing,

It is called a doctor's bag and dates back to around 1910 - according to this website

https://www.la-belle-epoque.net/english/e_bag_0007.htm

Edited by dirkba

They are also known as a Gladstone bag and date from the late 1890s

Thanks fredk - I looked it up and was pleasantly surprised to see the original Gladstone bag was made by J G Beard...now for the co-incidence my surname is Baard. If translated to english means beard...don't know if there could be a connection here!!

Wulfing look up this thread if you want to see how the bag was reconstructed.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/44990/how-to-make-a-fortuny-gladstone-bag-part-1/page/all

It is really great looking, but seems a challenge!