This is mark 1 of my lampworking goggles.  "What's that?" you say, "ANOTHER expensive hobby?" Why yes, yes indeed, I've gotten sucked in quite thoroughly into the land of molten glass and fire.  Fortunately there's some overlap with this, as seen here (and perhaps in the future I'll be making a leather apron to protect against glass spatter)  In any case, it's a VERY good idea to have eye protection when lampworking, not only because of the chance of a chip of glass flying at your eye (which happens surprisingly rarely) but to protect yourself from the sodium flare which can cause vision problems.  

So there I was, looking for eye protection and seeing that the cheap but effective stuff looked pretty ugly (and likely would be uncomfortable as well) and being the hands-on kinda person I am, figured I may as well give a shot at making some eyewear myself.  A purchase of round lenses, some gawking at other people's goggles and diagrams, and I gave Mark 1 a try.  Since I wasn't sure if they'd be wearable, I just left them plain to start.  

LampworkGogglesMark1TQV.thumb.jpg.a9682f6fa499c991626d14ba4c0b1bad.jpg

Not too shabby, and they fit decently!  However, they did end up awfully...Texas Chainsaw Massacre-ish, so I went back and dyed them.  

LampworkDyedGogglesMark1.jpg.5034e10bc6b5634b35d7d8a4cb744433.jpg

The knot was just some cord I had laying around, I need to figure out how I want it to stay stuck to my head.  One cord sliding through the hole on one side doesn't cut it, it ends up yanking my hair and skewing the whole thing sideways.  Maybe I'll do adjustable sliding knots on the back.

If you ever give up glassworking, they'll make awesome steampunk goggles!   Well done.

Bill

5 minutes ago, billybopp said:

If you ever give up glassworking, they'll make awesome steampunk goggles!   Well done.

Bill

All they need are the brass accents!:rockon:

Steam punk with purpose!

In the second madmax movie there was a character that had a set of goggles very similar to those.