Wheelc23

Good belt leather

I've been using a veg-tan leather in 8-9oz. and 10-12oz for belt making. They're both from Tandy, so obviously poor quality leather. As a fairly new leather worker, I've been reluctant to learn with better quality leather. I think I'm ready to start working with something nicer however, and am wondering what some of your favorite veg-tans to use for belts? Would using an oil-tanned leather be a terrible idea?

thanks

Look into Springfield Leather. They carry Hermann Oak. You will never buy Tandy's stuff again. Once you work with it and see how much Tandy charges you won't go back to them for leather.

I have a Tandy right down the street from me. And I'm in there often. But I'm buying sale and clearance items. Mostly hardware or a tool here and there. I won't pay their price for what little quality they offer in their leather.

Please don't think I'm bashing them. The people are nice. And the store serves it's purpose, but much better leather can be had for what they charge.

Stating where your at would be a big help also as far as shipping and places you can walk into if you wanted. 

IMHO I would go with Goliger leather or even Maverick leather for single hermann oak sides or backs from a retailer, they are actually relatively upfront about the grade of the leather they sell unlike some other recommended places. 

Price wise springfield "B" grade is $11sq/ft so roughly $265, Maverick "B" grade is $215, Goliger was $9.80 "A" grade so roughly $235 however there A grade is actually pretty close  to an A there "B" grade is $9.28. 

Wickett and craig has some real nice leather as well, you can look on there website for pricing information. There standard or A grade is real nice and runs $8.68 so about $210 a side. They dont have minimum orders and if all your making is belts order a back from them instead of a side, theres a upcharge but it pays out in not paying for the extra belly that you dont use. 

Ofcourse if you can float a 10 side minimum order from Hermann oak that is even cheaper per sq/ft. 

I'm not a yooper, but close. I'm south of the border,...... northern Wisconsin. 

Check out Springfield Leather. I have never made belts, but everyone at Springfield Leather has been super nice and helpful, and they have a huge selection. Everything from economical leather to premium stuff. 

On 2/14/2017 at 7:48 AM, bgl500 said:

You can buy a Hermann Oak belt blank from Panhandle Leather.

http://www.panhandleleather.com/Hermann-Oak_c94.htm

Weaver Leather has a pretty broad selection of belt blanks if you're doing one-offs or small quantities, and their prices beat Panhandle's - about $10 a belt. Quality is very good - they run it through a strap edger for you, so it just needs a little bit of light sanding before finishing the edges. I've bought three so far in different orders, and they've all been very good. They stamp very well and take dye in evenly.

Springfield sells what they call a "Belt Bend" for $159 that's good for between 16-18 belts, which works out to under $10 per belt for materials. It's a Premium grade Hermann Oak.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:00 PM, Wheelc23 said:

thank you! I live in northern michigan. there are no tanneries or suppliers here. thanks again for the input.

Check out the for sale section on here. JLSleather has a bunch of HO plain embossed and drum dyed blanks for sale. Or did he was moving and didn't wanna pack everything. He might not have them up anymore. He also is real good to deal with. Free shipping and fast. I'd message him and see.

I assume jls is right in the middle of his move right now. 

9 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I assume jls is right in the middle of his move right now. 

Ya i think so. He ain't been here in a cpl days but he will be back.lol I'm not sure how big a hurry OP is in.