Gecko

Looking for help to ID machine from ad.

Hi all, I found this Singer for sale locally and thanks to the poor photos, I cannot see the model number. Does anyone recognize it? I'm looking to sew heavy-ish canvas and medium weight leather. 

I'm hoping to download a manual before going to look at it as even threading it could be complicated.

Any advice from the experts?

Thanks in advance! 

00p0p_2bumubTNkMN_600x450.jpg

00404_ibbdsLaQmgR_600x450.jpg

00909_jtT48Ii0mXW_600x450.jpg

Looks like a 153W, the model tag is under the "S" on the arm of the machine.

It looks like the Singer 153, and similar to the flatbed early 111, and typically would run a thread size max top side of 138 but I would assume smaller is much better here. Of course they always could have a custom package, im not sure on any of them options.

The bobbin i believe is a g size on these and im not sure if this has a reverse option, i don't think so. 

good tip there Gregg

good luck

Floyd

ps; no machine is great at all jobs and clearly reason for more machines:)

Edited by brmax

Look s like a 153K or W 102.  Bottom feed, needle feed machine. I can't tell if it is a walking foot from the pictures which would be ether  a 153W or K 101 or 103.  The walking foot is the one you want for sewing canvas and leather.  These machines did not have reverse on them.  I would call or email the customer  selling it and have them tell you what model it is by the plate  on the front of the machine.  Will save you a trip if it is not a walking foot..

glenn

I zoomed in and it appears to have a walking foot. Buyer beware on one from a private party. For lots of reasons.

Regards, Eric

Thanks for all the info. I went and looked at it and ended up passing. The motor was smoking. I probably would replace with a servo anyway, but if I couldn't really try it, I didn't want to take a chance.

They were only asking $200, so I'm kind of kicking myself, but I didn't want to have to explain to my wife that I brought another project home. 

I would call them back and make an offer, and fwiw the cylinder arm machines are prolly 1 to 50 ratio finding to flatbeds!

Although this is not made to sew kite string size, its a workhorse for everything under.

Just your friendly neighbor advice at the fence corner;)

good day 

Floyd

If working well these machines are a joy to use but if parts are worn out they are a horror - as Eric suggested.

Talk to CowboyBob about a new CB227R which is the same machine but brand new with servo and warranty