dikman

31K20 - I bought ANOTHER machine!

On 4/12/2017 at 4:07 PM, dikman said:

Might need to put this in it's own thread? Better chance of people noticing it. I'd probably make my own - brass rod, with the end peened over to form the head maybe?

Not to put any pressure on you, but how's the restoration going? Have you almost got her all put together? Can't wait to see her all dressed up with the badge and pins and all the parts back together!

This is it, pretty well finished except for fitting the tilt hinges (I don't have the right size bit yet to drill the rebates).58f16b08b4dfe_31K2017a.jpg.2eba23930822a0452aa629b151aafd0b.jpg

58f16b2176394_31K2018a.jpg.fc277937ce3463a022c31796aa20388f.jpg

58f16b37ef67f_31K2019a.jpg.1f228c44961d00ede726cbf8edb65bdc.jpg

58f16b4c4e590_31K2020a.jpg.caf144291d3c0febca04047ca4a8dd47.jpg

I couldn't get it to sew reliably, it kept missing stitches (hand cranking only). It didn't matter how I tweaked it the hook wouldn't always grab the loop. The needle was an original style that came with it and didn't have a scarf so I changed to an equivalent with a scarf and after re-adjusting the needle bar it worked much better.

After all that effort I'm now thinking maybe I should try and sell it.

Wow! That looks fantastic! I'm glad you were able to make it sew better than it was doing. If you end up selling it, the new owner will only have to deal with some basic adjustments and/or parts to get it stitching just right. Or, they may even have a machine already to put in it's place! That drop down table is a real plus for anyone using the machine in a small space. Great work!

By the way, is that a reverse lever I see? If so, do you think it was added after machine was made? Just wondering, because it appears that it's one of those military issued machines, but I don't think it is. The knob that looks like reverse lever looks a lot like my Pfaff's lever. (?) Just curious. If it had reverse, that would of course make it much more desirable for sure! What kind of price would you put on it? Good for you for being able to part with it, I know you said you don't need another machine. They really are fun to fix, aren't they? Whoever gets it will be so happy with it.

Edited by suzelle

This is the stitch change "knob" (I have an identical spare that came with it). It sort of has reverse, but the needle doesn't move much when it's engaged. It's spring loaded and engages in the slots on the plate.

58f6d3a38b9c4_31K2021a.jpg.5f12facbd84b5728cfcc51baa9f57895.jpg