GrayHallidayJr

Lasers; an artistic compromise?

The artwork on this pick guard is entirely freehand with a Leather Wranglers swivel blade. I cut the outline, did the edges and stitched it on a Cobra 4. Then I took it to a friend that has a laser to cut the pick up hole and those thin slot lines. It's 10 ounce leather so I had to run the laser over a couple of times to get mostly through (having to cut some sections that didn't burn all the way through). I also blazed a GHJ brand on it.

I've used a laser on the artwork for some other projects.

What are the general feelings about using a laser on leather artwork? Is it an artistic compromise?

IMG_0043.JPG.dd478a1ad3b3501fa36d5c4213f35ce9.JPGIMG_0044.JPG.100a3dcace89543fd32297602c115d85.JPG

Just my opinion, of course, but as long as you're honest about how it's done just about anything goes. No objections to a laser etched design on leather as long as you don't pass it off as something else.  

I this case it's a no brainer - cuts are cuts are cuts no matter what you use .. And the real artwork here is truly by hand.  I wouldn't even object to a light laser etching that is then tooled - I don't see a big difference there between using paper or film and tracing a pattern onto the leather and then carving / tooling.  

BTW ... Love your work that you've posted last few days.  It reminds me of a style that isn't much seen anymore!   Very nostalgic.

Bill

Thanks! I've always been a draw-er and really enjoy the three dimensional quality of working with leather. I've been playing around with it for a couple of years and am just now starting to collect a proper stash of tools. 

Very excited to get this new laser cutter! But kind of had this nagging apprehension that using a laser would depreciate the artistic integrity among purists. Like maybe oil painters sticking their nose up at acrylics? I dunno. 

Anyway, thanks. I sometimes feel shy about posting my work (I'm my own worst critic) and really appreciate the encouragement. 

I'll be in the garage.

In my opinion the laser is another tool on your bench.  Was Dark Side of the Moon less musical because Pink Floyd used synthesizers?  

I look at it this way, if you are happy with your work, and you are either selling it or just giving it away and people like it even when told it's done by a laser then who gives a damn about the so called purists? I have a personal preference of doing everything by hand including the sewing. I do not hold it against anyone that uses a machine to sew with, if that is your thing more power to you I say.

I think it is awesome and agree with the comments above.  My dad and my uncle used to cut cord wood on the farm with a 2 man saw.  What they wouldn't have given for a mechanical saw.

Agreed.  In the end I think it is up to the consumer to decide what they feel is worth the money.  Someone else here posted about digitally printing artwork (which I suspect is not even their own) on to holsters to sell.  That to me is an artistic compromise.  But they will probably sell a ton of them because they can do it cheaper that way.  If someone is looking for a leather item that is truly handmade, they will likely see that for what it is. Or eventually realize once they learn to admire the art.  Your use of a laser does not even come close to any sort of deception in my opinion.

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I saw those holsters with the images printed. Pretty cool when you start to think how one might couple that printer and a laser with carving and beveling! 

Here are a couple of attempts I made on some belts I did a while back (with my friends laser). With some time to play around with it, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do. 

IMG_6139.jpeg

IMG_6133.jpeg