bylinesupplyco

Looking for a fast and effective way to burnish natural veg-tan

I'm with JLSleather- you'd be amazed at the results plain ol' water will give you...

Right-O JLS,

I was just curious about the mention of the motor speed. Never seen one that runs at 6000 rpm.  Unless Andy is ralking about a Dremel or other hand held device. 

Maybe Andy was speaking of SFPM.  But that still seems awfully fast to me. I run the lignum vitae burnishers I made on my metal lathe..maybe around 1000-1500 rpm or so. 

Ya dont need 6k rpm. Heck you can burnish by hand if necessary. 

What you need is heat, moisture, and, optionally, color. For it to last, you want some protection.

A coiled up belt can have the entire edges dampened with a kitchen sponge within seconds. Flip it, repeat. If you use a 1/4" nap trim painting pad or sponge dauber you could also dye the edges quickly, if you cared to.

There are many options but dampening the edge makes a big difference for me. Saddle soap helps keep the moisture in place. Moisture allows the fibers to form and compress to the shape I want. Usually I burnish by hand and just use a scrap of cloth or a ceramic electrical insulator from old knob and tube wiring... since it was free.

Edited by johnv474
wording

If you want fast and effective edge treatments, look at what are done by larger-production manufacturers.  Usually burnishing is not involved (in the usual sense we talk of it).  It's more common to just use edge dye or similar and be done with it.

I am not aware of a fast and also effective and also inexpensive approach.  But if the cost isn't what matters then look at leather flap wheels ($90) and motor-mounted horsehair brush wheels ($90) and the various burnishing inks or waxes that are available from Fiebings or others.  Last I saw, a machine for this purpose cost a few thousand dollars, used, and included three or four sanding stations.  Shoe repair shops have them.

That said, even with a machine it takes skill and practice to do it well... even if it could be faster.