geargarcon

Advice needed: nubuck vs suede liner

Been making smaller products for a while now but recently decided to venture out of my comfort zone to make a lined laptop bag/briefcase for myself.  I picked up some Cavalier from maverick and I'm now debating between nubuck or suede to line the interior.  

Anyone have advice that would favor one over the other?

Well generally speaking and I mean very generally, now a days suede refers to the split from thinning leather so the flesh portion that is finished, nubuck is suppose to be the grain side that is sanded buffed  up. In my experience the nubuck is a finer finish and the suede is a little coarser. 

IMHO either would work depending on what you have on hand and what the finished look is you want to achieve, the thickness of either leather and if it will work with the project you have in mind. 

I don't have any experience with nubuck as I always use suede for my "lining" projects.  Nubuck is comparably priced from what I've seen, . . . so like MADMAX22 said, . . . kind of up to you.  Either way, . . . I would contact cement it to the exterior leather, . . . and may not even bother stitching the sides, . . . unless you are putting in a zipper, . . . in which case the zipper flange goes between the two leathers, . . . and it makes a really nice looking package.

I suppose if I were going to do it, . . . I would opt for the thicker of the two, . . . because you ARE MAKING a drop basket for a lap top computer, . . . and that drop basket needs to be able to take what ever punishment the basket gets when it is dropped. 

And if you have ever owned a laptop for any time, . . . you know they get dropped.

Good luck, . . . be sure to post a picture or 10 when you get done, . . . I may have to do one of these for my son's laptop.

May God bless,

Dwight