DanielPNW

Cowboy CB227R - comparable sewing machines?

Hey there,

I was curious if anyone knew of a comparable sewing machine to the Cowboy 227R for around the same price or cheaper. I'm in the market for something that sews medium weight leather which also has a speed reducer. Does anyone know of a good dealer for industrial sewing machines in Washington or Oregon state.

Thanks for your time, Daniel

I am no expert of any kind, but I will let you know this. These industrial class leather machines have hit their respective price points. Cobra and techsew probably have a comparable machine but the price will be about the same.

The machine guys who advertise here are all experts and help all of the machine sew'ers out on a daily basis. Even if you have to have it shipped their service is top notch.

Good luck.

That's what I assumed I just want to make sure before buying that there isn't a machine out there that's cheaper which does the same thing. Hopefully I can find a local dealer so that I can save some money on shipping if at all possible.

Thanks

I'm pretty much just trying to sew veg tanned leather products but nothing thicker than 3/8 of leather.

I guess a good or better start is helping others know what your medium leather is. 

But just heading to the machine part the reducer is going to be an extra option on any flatbed purchase. 

Good day

Floyd

Veg tanned leather wallets and canvas bags.

1 hour ago, DanielPNW said:

That's what I assumed I just want to make sure before buying that there isn't a machine out there that's cheaper which does the same thing. Hopefully I can find a local dealer so that I can save some money on shipping if at all possible.

Thanks

Yeah, these machines are mostly clones. The original machines were 3x more expensive 20 years ago.

We should consider ourselves lucky.

I'm not sure about the 227r in particular though. 

Just general information I picked up around here.

The only fabulous deals to be found are by scouring Craigslist and finding the one person that inherited grandpas junk and just wants it gone.

You have the option with the dealers in some banner ads above for some pretty good choices. 

There is a nice cobra 26 thats been talked about recently, and photo shows to have a reducer pulley for a very slow stitch. Imo this should be considered seriously. 

I wished it was avail this time last year, you can bet there would be one here. 

Whatever you choose, ya been making some nice products so good luck and

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Ok, so reviving a sightly older topic. Like the original poster, I've also been looking at the Cowboy 227R, though I'm not necessarily expecting that similar machines would cost any less (but I wouldn't object, if they happen to :)). 

Anyway, I'm interested in a machine that would allow me to sew lighter weight bags (generally about 5 oz or so). It seems like the Cowboy 227R would be a good choice for this, but I want to understand the full range of choices. As best I can tell, other good options could include the Techsew 2700/2700 Pro, and possibly the Cobra 26? Are there any other comparable machines I should look into?

Also, are there any must have accessories for machines like these? A pedestal stand and flatbed attachment seem like they could be pretty handy, and the Techsew and Cowboy come with Servo motors and speed reducers, which I've seen recommended. What about the laser guide, rolling seam guide, or Smart-Servo NP that the Techsew 2700 Pro comes with? They seem pretty cool, but are they $500 cool?  

Edited by strathmoredesigns

Most of these size machines can come with the standard table, having a center cutout. Probably only optional pedestal stands are from dealers that frequently visit the LW site here.  

The Seiko and Juki machines are available, and so with any of your choices small thread size is the standard here. I honestly have not heard of any discussion in particulars or specfics how any big threads are used. 

I recommend one to get a stand that will be for their specfic area. If you like or need an open area to the left. Then a table or stand with these provisions should be built or obtained. Your work area actually can help on this. This size machine i utilized an existing work table, i honestly need lots of access both front and side.

Its always a great idea to do the homework on the best machines offered then its more your choice understandably. 

Good day

Floyd

ps: obtain a real light with the machine

Stands:  Most of the Cowboy machines can be upgraded to the optional pedestal stand, without much issue.  

Feet & Accessories are widely available both from dealers and online sites like ebay.  The 227r and similar machines have been around for MANY years, so just about every type of attachment is available or can be ordered custom.