h1clm04

Best machine for my purposes

I know that there is a lot of information already out there for beginners to choose a machine. However, I thought someone may be able to offer some suggestions given my particular scenario:

I generally work with 3-5 ounce chrome tanned. So, in most cases the maximum thickness I would ever expect to work with would be 10 ounce together.

Here is a list of some machines I found locally:

Bernina Record 830 - $450

Domestic 153

Singer 500A - $50

Singer 401A - $250

Singer 15-91

Pfaff 34-6/2bs

Pfaff 360

Of course, I understand that condition plays a big role here. I am hoping to stay in the $500 range. I don't expect to run this machine heavily or often. And, as mentioned I will probably max out at 8-10 ounce chrome tanned. I am hoping somebody can provide some recommendations or insights with all of this information in mind. 

Edited by h1clm04

I messaged the seller on the Juki earlier today. They indicated they had two buyers firm at $550. I think I might go for it but it may not last long enough for me to pick up. 

I think you would be better suited with a machine that could loaf through the job instead of struggle and labor. your work wouldnt suffer either from struggling with troubles.yup, juki.

16 hours ago, h1clm04 said:

I know that there is a lot of information already out there for beginners to choose a machine. However, I thought someone may be able to offer some suggestions given my particular scenario:

I generally work with 3-5 ounce chrome tanned. So, in most cases the maximum thickness I would ever expect to work with would be 10 ounce together.

Here is a list of some machines I found locally:

Bernina Record 830 - $450

Domestic 153

Singer 500A - $50

Singer 401A - $250

Singer 15-91

Pfaff 34-6/2bs

Pfaff 360

Of course, I understand that condition plays a big role here. I am hoping to stay in the $500 range. I don't expect to run this machine heavily or often. And, as mentioned I will probably max out at 8-10 ounce chrome tanned. I am hoping somebody can provide some recommendations or insights with all of this information in mind. 

If you want to start with an old "home" machine rather than a leather machine you will be disappointed, yes they can sew leather and canvas and do an ok job but not 10OZ, that is to much.  I would say look for a Singer 111 (or comparable) or a Singer 29 treadle machine.  These machines are typically priced under $500 and easy to use and maintain.

Bernina Record 830 - $450 -----NO

Domestic 153  -------NO

Singer 500A - $50 ----- not a bad machine for $50 bucks if its not locked up and has the cams with it wont do 10OZ of leather, but has great default stiches

Singer 401A - $250  ----- Also good machine but $250 is to much - wont do 10OZ leather

Singer 15-91 - basic machine will sew like a tank - still wont do 10OZ

Pfaff 34-6/2bs --starting to get there but recommend a speed reducer and or servo motor extra $150 for that.

Pfaff 360 - Also Nice machine wont sew 10OZ

Thanks for the information, everyone! I currently have a line on a singer 111w that I'm trying to get a good price for. 

Any idea what model this is and if it might be appropriate for my needs? Assuming it's in good working condition, of course.

Is it possible a 206rb?

00F0F_bk64gVfbQ1r_600x450.jpg

Edited by h1clm04

It's a 332,333 Consew double needle that will not work for leather.

Aren't those good for upholstery work? Looks like a double needle 211. 

Though the consew there has reverse lever.  It looks like my 212 singer, double needle and mine is not compound or walking foot style. A great needle feed machine though. 

A compund walking foot machine is needed. Then the other stuff needs addressed.

Floyd

Yeah 212 duh (double needle 211), I thought most were walking foot in that line up? Guess two needles moving the material is pretty darn good though.

I first learned on this 212 i picked up at auction. Never new anything before that. 

Always was looking for the 211 becuase the compound feed but they all got away. 

I changed the needle sys to 135x17 for canvas and actually it rocks! 

I still keep an eye out for the 211 especially some talked about lately with the big bobbin i just sense they are smooth runners like this 212. 

Floyd

Once I got my 211 squared away it does pretty darn good. Will scream right along if you want it to. Wish mine had a big bobbin (and reverse to while I'm at it). Course now the 111 I got has kind of stolen the show. Same issues though, stitching guitar straps with 138 empties a G bobbin pretty dang quick.

Edited by MADMAX22

Sewing anything empties a bobbin quick on my 211G.  Reverse is pretty sweet though, and it makes great stitches too.

Get too thick of material and even TiN coated needles will stick in the work, but as long as the point hasn't deflected out of reach of the hook, she'll keep on sewing great.

I have no question why so many copied this model going forward.  It works.