I'm new to holster making and would like to replicate this IWB style for myself.  Could anyone tell me exactly what hardware components are needed to make this kind of snap arrangement for an IWB holster?  The snaps say Pull the Dot, but I have no idea what type of screw or female fitting is sandwiched between the leather layers.  (A T-nut, perhaps?)  Where can one find this hardware, or the neomdymium magnetic version of this hardware?  Thanks,

111.JPG

222.JPG

333.JPG

They are t nuts with 6/32 screws. You can get them at Home Depot or the such. As for the pull the dot snaps check out HolsterSmith.com. I would not use any kind magnets in my opinion. Pull the dot snaps are 1 way snaps and use a setter for them alone. They are they size of line 24 snaps.

More specifically 6-32 x 1/4" brad hole T nut and #6 x 3/8" flat head phillips machine screw.  The machine screw has a tapered top to fit the snap better.  Home depot will only have the silver ones.  If you want black check here.  You can get everything here but you will have to buy 100 at a time.  IIRC springfield leather and tandy sell the snaps individually.  

https://www.ifithermoplastics.com/category/fasteners

screw:  https://www.mcmaster.com/mv1489684848/#91099a220/=16sjhzs

t-nut:   https://www.mcmaster.com/mv1489684848/#90973a400/=16sjhyt

Then add line 24 snaps.  You will not need the snap studs (the part that secures the socket), as this is replaced by the t-nut and screw.   

Many folks prefer pull the dot snaps, from dotfasteners.com found here: http://www.dotfasteners.com/products/?wfc_applications=687&wfc_product_brand=897

Again, with dot fasteners, you will not need the post/eyelets.  You only need studs, sockets and and caps.   If you are buying plain line 24 snaps from somewhere, they typically come with all the parts together.

Don't forget the proper tools to seat your snaps!!

I just made this one just a couple days ago, it was my first IWB holster:   

32675960633_7cb946748b_c.jpg

Edited by carguy4471

Note this is nothing more - or less - than a simple "pancake" holster with loops added over the slots (or sometimes INSTEAD OF slots).

Refresh the page (or hit F5) to play the animation ;)

iwb_base2.gif

Edited by JLSleather

9 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Note this is nothing more - or less - than a simple "pancake" holster with loops added over the slots (or sometimes INSTEAD OF slots).

Refresh the page (or hit F5) to play the animation ;)

The slot cut for the little "wing" does complicate the build slightly, but if I can pull one off, I'd recon anyone could.  

Well, yeah-- there's a little more labor involved.  Just making the point that the PATTERN is one step away from any 'pancake' pattern you have that you like.  No need to purchase another one just for that :)

29 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Well, yeah-- there's a little more labor involved.  Just making the point that the PATTERN is one step away from any 'pancake' pattern you have that you like.  No need to purchase another one just for that :)

Yes, true.  It's an easy adaptation, which for new folks like myself is very advantageous.  

As to line 24 snaps, IMO spend the money and get pull the dot's.  Unless you like the potential for snaps coming loose.  I was never satisfied with line 24's when I needed something to stay snapped.  FWIW, pay attention to the post size on the Dot cap.  Dot snaps are usually used with fabric in military applications.  So they have several sizes of posts for the cap.  If you already have line 24 snaps you can sub the cap from there and it will work with the dot female snap.  Dot caps are pricey, I usually buy 24's and just use the cap so I don't have to guess as to post size.  It's about the same price and I have 24's if I need them.  

A simple article about turning your favorite '50/50' pancake into an IWB available now.  It's free, but you get 20% off 'til Friday ;)

http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/pattern-making/gun-holster-patterns/