JRDill

Testing Hermann Oak for the First Time

I'm looking to buy a small amount of Hermann Oak veg tan from Springfield soon. They have shoulder pieces as small as 5 square feet, but I'm not sure about the whole grading system with Hermann Oak. Most of their full sides are "B grade," some are listed as "Craftsman" and then the shoulders don't say anything at all. Can anyone elaborate on the grading of Hermann Oak and what this means? The shoulder pieces I'm looking at are not labeled, but the info describes it as "craftsman grade leather."

Hermann Oak 3-4 oz. Shoulder

I've never ordered that exact stuff, but as a rule "craftsman" is a nicer word for.. well.. something less nice ;)   "Craftsman" isn't a word Hermann Oak uses in their grading -- this is someone else's story.

http://www.hermannoakleather.com/about/grading/grading-20140524202323

I use H.O. leather in A and B grades, always been good leather -- consistent thickness, clean surfaces, tight grain, well split, tools and forms great.

Thanks. I figured as much. I've never had luck with shoulders from anyone being anything better than "craftsman."

If you have been using Tandy it will still probably be miles above that.

Even the stuff Jeff throws away is miles above the Tandy stuff.

Oh I'm sure it will be. I've bought two sides from Tandy in the past year and both were actually really decent. One a little too "bright" in color, but working out well for me. Now, with that said, I had to DIG to find a decent side both times!

Also remember that the HO from  some re-sellers are sold with the re-sellers interpretation of the grading system, as in they order a bunch of TR grade leather and scale it according to what they think it is vs how the tannery grades the leather. Basically dont hold it against hermann oak if you order B grade leather and get something that should be a D-. 

Good point. Where do you guys order HO from?

31 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

HO from  some re-sellers are sold with the re-sellers interpretation of the grading system...Basically dont hold it against hermann oak if you order B grade leather and get something that should be a D-. 

Nothing to add -- just this is worth repeating :whistle:

Edited by JLSleather