chasman52

Trouble with PFAFF 1445 stitches in Veg tan

This is my first machine, and I have tried to solve this problem for days .

On soft thick leather I don't seem to have this problem , but even on 5 oz Veg I always run into trouble.

The top thread will break through the bottom intermittently. I've maxed out the presser feet pressure, and increased the top tension until I get loops on top.

Is this operator error? what can cause this?

In this picture I'm using 207/138 polyester bonded top/bottom with a new 134/35 24 LR needle on 8 oz. veg

20170320_064157.jpg

20170320_064210.jpg

Edited by chasman52
correction

Could it be the bottom thread twists once in a while and so doesn't give thread?

Or the top thread jumps out of the tension disks a stitch or two and then 'falls' back in place?

Looks like irregular tension to me somehow. 

50 minutes ago, sandyt said:

Could it be the bottom thread twists once in a while and so doesn't give thread?

Or the top thread jumps out of the tension disks a stitch or two and then 'falls' back in place?

Looks like irregular tension to me somehow. 

I'll check harder for that, Thanks SandyT

Could be just bad bobbin winding. If wound too tight onto bobbin the threads can get caught under itself on and off and thereby tension up and down. Make sure there are no ruff edges around the bobbin as well.Try a dry run of bobbin in case for any roughness.Clean and oil.

The top thread is being pulled very tight over the hook assembly as the thread is coming around the hook. The thread pops around the hook . The check spring will flutter as this happens

The hook timing appears to be advanced. I've been looking for UWE's video on this very situation, but can't seem to find it........found it

Edited by chasman52

It may be having difficulty with the 207 thread.  Try sewing the top with 138 thread and see if it still does it?

Sonydaze, Good point I'll try that first.

Sonydaze,I tried the 138/138 Black/white and it didn't go any better.

A close look at the hook showed the  thread catching at the needle plate./ Hook tab area.

I polished the groves in the needle plate and Hook Tab away and stropped the finish. This helped a little.

What seemed to work best was a fresh bobbin using the same thread as the top thread...

I have now used 207/207 @ 24 and 138/138 @ 23.  the 207 thread.worked well , but I don't see why?

Any one had this problem before? I doubt my problem is unique .