suzelle

Question about Machine weight - 20U?

I've been wanting to someday buy a Singer 20U without the table &motor, but wanted to know approx. what the machine would weight.

Anyone have a clue? Thank you!

Hi suzelle,

I couldn't find anything in the owner/maintenance manual for weight of the machine.

Without physically removing my 20U33 from the table, I would guess the head alone weighs approximately 20-25lbs. If you would like, I can remove the head and actually weigh it if need be?

V/r,

Chayse

Chayse,

Thank you so much. An approximate is fine, that's about what I was looking for. I had hoped that it weighed about the same as an old Singer 15-91 or 201 domestic. Have never owned one of those, but looking for something fairly light weight that I can lift out of the table and store on shelf until needed for zig zag, v69 thread, uniform alterations, lighter weight leathers and canvas, that type of thing.

Again, thank you!

Suzelle,

It is definitely manageable to remove out of the table! I use mine for sewing 500D and 1000D Cordura nylon for projects...I am actually going to use this machine to sew up a replacement interior for my truck, as the cloth is starting to get thin. I will be using the Cordura with v69 thread and size 18 needle. 

V/r,

Chayse

Hey Guys, my 20u weighs right around 40 pounds (I just weighed it, the bathroom scale groaned).  most of my cast iron heads are in the 50-60# range.   The squared edges of the 20u make the grip a little tougher for me to carry with one hand. Please lift safely, lots of stories about busted toes from machines that slip.  I can see a day where doing the head swap won't be so trivial for me. Perhaps an Alton Brown Fried Turkey style derrick ? Best of luck. 

Lee in Florida .

Edited by leecopp
extra words

2 hours ago, leecopp said:

I can see a day where doing the head swap won't be so trivial for me.

Yep, I'm already noticing that :(. The straight stitchers aren't too bad, but those walking foot machines are getting heavier and heavier and heavier.....

Chayse, thanks for verifying you can easily lift and move your 20U - also, great to know you use the v69 pretty regularly. I have a Customer I sew a lot of cordura for and hoping to use it on that type of fabric as well! Good luck on your truck interior!!! Hope you post pics of that, would love to see what you do as I'm going to do my own truck interior one day. I have a not so old Ford Ranger that just got new transmission. Have owned it since new, my favorite vehicle of all time, I think! It deserves a new interior!

LeeCopp- Haha, yes thanks for that advice! Must remember to keep sewing machines away from your toes, and off your nose! I pray each time I pick one up that all my body parts will remain as they were before I picked one up. There is new meaning to Pumping Iron!

Dikman, Yeah I think you are right, Most of the walking foots are pretty beefy. But I have to say, I think my most Recent Antique Singer (the 96-10) is as heavy as one of those walking foot machines. It does not have a walking foot, but it would win I ever dropped it or tripped while carrying it. Had to carry it in the rain the other day. Yikes!

Edited by suzelle

21 hours ago, Chayse said:

Chayse - forgot to ask...

Are you using v92 at all in your 20U??? I had heard that it can handle it, but want to make sure. I'd be using the v-69 thread more than anything else, which is bonded poly., as is most of my v-92. Also, have you got an older Singer 20U, or is another label or clone? I'd prefer and old Blue Singer 20U, but doesn't really matter as far as function as long as the other colors (and Country of manufacture) work just as well. Most of the machines I bond the quickest with happen to be made in Japan, Germany or Scotland. Or a good old Singer from USA. -Thanks! :) 

Suzelle,

It is definitely manageable to remove out of the table! I use mine for sewing 500D and 1000D Cordura nylon for projects...I am actually going to use this machine to sew up a replacement interior for my truck, as the cloth is starting to get thin. I will be using the Cordura with v69 thread and size 18 needle. 

V/r,

Chayse

Edited by suzelle

Suzelle,

I have a gold original singer industrial that is made in Japan. I haven't really researched the serial number to find when it was manufactured at all. I mainly use v69 when sewing my cordura...I believe I watched a video somewhere that showed whomever sewing with 92. I will see if I can dig up some more information on thread use...I am curious myself...

Thanks Chayse! I think if I cannot find a Singer 20U or clone, I'll probably get another Pfaff 138, or a Chandler or Bernina 217. Both of those will do the zig zag stitch I am after, but they are bigger and heavier so not my first choice. Have had a few opportunities to buy in the $200-$300 range, but couldn't do it when they were available. Someday!

Pfaff 138 zig zag width is only 4 mm ish, but i can attest that it is the smoothest sewing machine on my stable so far.

I think brother tz1 b652 is one competent zig zag machine to consider too @suzelle and it is also  considered small

Edited by patria

Patria, Thank you so much  for that information. Okay, I am on the right track. Was also considering a Brother TZ1, as you mentioned. Have no idea regarding how smooth it sews, oh but I do love one that is smooth! Yes, the Pfaff 138 is smooth as you mentioned and the one I had did do only a 4mm wide zig zag. They are available up to 6mm wide, although rare is what I have learned by asking questions here.

Patria, if you have a Brother TZ1 b652, can you tell me if it will sew up to v92 weight thread? Also (if you have one) how much does it weigh approx? Looks like a standard home or domestic size machine with Industrial design.

Thanks so much!

Edited by suzelle

I used the brother tz1 mainly to sew canvas leather bag and lining with 92 nylon thread, it is on the lighter side approx. 20kg head only

dcswnd.jpg

Patria, Thanks so much! Very helpful. Good to know it can handle the v92 threads! I'd be sewing the same type of items you had sewn.

Well it has been a year since I posted this question about the weight of the Singer 20U. I took my time shopping and really wanted an older 20U, made in Japan. Well, I got one! It was available in Seattle, via Craigslist. I already posted something about the machine but wanted to come back to this string and thank all those that responded to me! Thanks for answering all my questions!

These older machines don't come up to often around here and the one I found is in pristine condition. I will use it for leather work too, Nothing heavy, just garment weights. I'm can sew heavier weight leathers on my Pfaff 545, so got that covered. My Commercial Embroidery machines are capable of sewing through leather too, which I've been doing for about 12 years now. I do a lot of bulk heads and auto interiors for other businesses. They hire me to design and embroider their panels before they install the interiors. I also design and have sewn many aircraft covers. I don't do much of this for myself, it is my work so usually done for others, or done Commercially.

I'm taking my time setting it up the Singer 20U. I'll be using it mostly at home I think for my own creative projects. I want to be able to easily lift it out of the table and put it in a portable carrier to use on a job or at the shop where my other machines are. I'm thinking of cutting the Original table back to about 38" and putting a piano hinge on it so I can use the full length of the table now and then for bigger items. I've got an older Industrial table too (with the H legs) and I want to add wheels to it and use it under the Singer 20U. That way, I should be able to store it inside our home, and roll it out of the way easier.

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas, I've really enjoyed reading this forum and although I've been sewing for many years, I think I learn something new each time I visit here. This is a great forum! Thank you all!

Edited by suzelle
error