About a month ago, I asked for help making a scabbard out of the leather my friend gave me. I was a complete beginner, but thanks to you guys (and some help from the people at Tandy; they let me work on it in the store so I could ask questions), I succeeded!

I certainly could have been more careful, and it's not perfect, but I'm happy with the result because now I get to finally carry my sword around the faire. I started sewing at the bottom and I thought it started really well, and then quickly went to shit, but I don't mind.

Thanks everyone for their input, it was all invaluable :). 

17555196_10208745477942806_1576859001_n.jpg

17499798_10208745476942781_284625723_o.jpg

17467659_10208745474782727_1011103884_n.jpg

17474716_10208745471502645_1406931495_n.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg.9ed7224ec011588a6cee0b699415af3c.jpg

Awesome job man. Be proud of what you have done! 

Nice scabbard!

Congrats on finishing your project!  That's half the battle right there, putting hand to leather to learn how it all works. 
What do you think happened in the middle of your stitching? (I don't have an answer; I'm just curious to know what you think.)

Great job.

Congrats on finishing your project!  That's half the battle right there, putting hand to leather to learn how it all works. 
What do you think happened in the middle of your stitching? (I don't have an answer; I'm just curious to know what you think.)

First of all, I was irritated that it was taking so long, so I started to skip stitches to see if it would still look good (it did not). Second, it turns out when I was punching the holes, I wasn't doing it straight and also I was too close to the edge (what's the name of the tool that marks a stitch line? I need one of those), so I had to re punch a good stretch.

Still looks good. I like imperfect leather goods anyway. Shows it was built by a real person not stamped on a machine.

6 minutes ago, TBigLug said:

Still looks good. I like imperfect leather goods anyway. Shows it was built by a real person not stamped on a machine.

Speaking of stamping, I was surprised by how hard it was to stamp the pattern. Should the leather be really wet or would that not make a difference? I didn't want to mess it up by soaking it too much.

Wet it down with sponge until it turns darker, wait until the surface goes back to original color but leather still feels cool to the touch. Stamp away. That's an abbreviated process but that's how I've been told. Start on some scrap to practice as well.

This looks awesome.  I've been doing leather work for about a Year and a half. I'm just now working on a scabbard for my sword.  I hope it turns out that good. ⚔️

I think some of the "errors" you made make it look more authentic. Back in the renaissance I don't think there would be a lot of perfect and beautiful pieces unless you were wealthy. I think it looks pretty damned good. 

34 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I think some of the "errors" you made make it look more authentic. Back in the renaissance I don't think there would be a lot of perfect and beautiful pieces unless you were wealthy. I think it looks pretty damned good. 

Thank you! All things considered, it turned out better than I thought. I'm really glad they upsold me some dye, It hides a lot of the rough bits in my opinion. Also it's pretty :). 

Here's the rapier hanger that I did a few years back. The color is difficult to see in this picture; it's a nice Oxblood. I like that color. 

RapierHanger1.jpg