Magpieleather

Dying techniques

I am looking for different techniques on dyeing leather I have seen some antique finishes that I would really liked to learn and I would love to learn how they fade the dye  from light to dark evenly I have tried it in thw past and it looks blotchy and it doesn't look like a nice gradual Fade I'm looking to see if anybody has any tips or YouTube videos that they would suggest 

Look up block dyeing. Also the is a Al Stohlman book on dyeing techniques. 

I know what you mean. The clean gradient patina finish people get on some products is amazing. These days it's mostly done with an airbrush. Wedgetail on this forum made an airbrush video that I'll link for you. Obviously this requires equipment and a set up whereas the traditional techniques wouldn't.

I would agree with Mattsbagger as well, Stohlman's books are always good and informative.

Thanks alot for your replys I own the coloring with Eco-flo book which has alot of good info in it but its hard to get your point across with some text and a few pictures on proper blending

I think I prefer the ecoflo book to the Stohlman but they are both must reads. I too work with an airbrush but you can very well achieve the results with brushes with ecoflo. I dont use alot of ecoflo but I do find when blending edges and mixing color its helpful. I usually use it in smaller areas.

Start out with your lightest color. So if I were fading Green I get a shot glass and use a eyedropper to put some green in and then cut it in half or more and lay that down. While its still wet mix a higher concentration and go toward your outside but with a fairly dry brush drag the pigment into the light area. The Ecoflo really gives you a fair amount of time to move so keep blending the darker more concentrated into the lighter. If you want super smooth then what I do is use a cheap shaving brush available at any pharmacy and then feather where the two meet once I am happy with the percentages. Dont put any pigment on the shaving brush. Hope that all made sense.

Edited by Boriqua

Looks really nice!

Looks great to me