Chayse

Singer machine i.d.

Enlisting the help of the folks here on identifying this machine. I have looked via google....but mainly focusing on the 2 holes adjacent the arm itself....it sorta resembles a 17-23 but I am not for sure.

What say ye wise ones of LW?

00D0D_ahoMilQIPrC_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Chayse
added information

Couple more pics...

Singer.jpg

Singer 1.jpg

Think I may have it....Singer Model 17-1....

17-1.jpg

Once had one of these - nice little machines for light leather work. Your has a Singer 29K treadle base. Machine has no reverse and sews well with #96 thread - haven´t tried any thicker back then. I had mine set up for 135x17 needles but standard is the 16x2 / 16x1 needle. Hooks, Bobbins and some other parts are stil available - some parts form other machine like Singer 16 could fit as well.

Edited by Constabulary

17-17?? or 17-15??

Edited by jimi

@Constabulary..thanks for the info....looking through the 17 Class machines...this is the class that closely resembles the machine in the pics. I knew the treadle table was wrong in the pics...seeming that the machine is not even bolted down and the mounting holes do not line up.

@jimi..I cannot find a pic of the model of machines you listed....

I surmise that it is most likely a 17-1 due to matching things I found in the pic...

1. The oval hole on the left of the machine....on most of the other 17 Class machines, this hole is round.

2. The shape of the actual cylinder arm also is somewhat different on some of the 17 Class machines

3. On most of the 17 Class machines, there is a round whole on the front of the machine head...where this is one of the only 17 Class machines without a hole on the head.

This is the link  ( http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/used/used-singers/17.htm ) where I compared the pics of what I found against what is listed. I understand that this is only one reference and actually one of the very few that actually showed pictures of the different models. 

This is mainly out of sheer curiosity at this point, as the machine is listed on the local CL. If I wanted to get the machine...out of pure curiosity sake, I can pick it up for about $225. I mainly like the look of the machine and table....that 'old iron' look that so many things lack these days.

Thanks for the info!!

V/r,

Chayse

17-1 Circled.jpg

Singer 1 Circled.jpg

Edited by Chayse
Spelling errors

Hi chayse, i was guessing it would be one of these two classes as they use the long plate on the left of the needle plate. one is rounded on the corners and the other not. you can find them in the parts manual. the 17-15 was for portfolios, pocket books etc... and leather stuff and came with a roller foot so it might be that one. iam not sure but i think there are only some parts for the class that has the curved needle plate, not the flat one. i have a 18-2 and there are still plates,hooks and feed dogs available. but for my 17-10.... maybe just a hook, the rest would have to be made as i never see this model around. regards jimi.

@jimi..thanks for the info...I think this satisfied my curiosity.. More often than not, I get squirreled off on something like this...old iron with no model numbers, etc, guess it is the thrill to try and identify things. I am not in the market for another machine at the moment, so just wanted to see what the consensus of the experienced members on this board had to say. Personally, if I did have it, although probably sacrilegious, I would strip the machine and paint it a 'unique' color. I do like the black and although not a purist, sometimes I think it is a bit boring. Have a couple bits re-chromed and I think it would be a beautiful, unique machine. At the minimum...a definite conversation piece.

Here is an example, although some may not agree...my 1946 Atlas Metal Lathe (Resto-mod project)...it was a complete basket case when I bought it. It is now almost complete, lacking the DC motor conversion and a few other bits. When manufactured, most..if not all, were painted 'Machine Gray'....I thought it was a bit boring. I digress.....

Lathe.jpg

Edited by Chayse
added information

Thats a very neat looking restoration there, well done. would love to get hold of a small lathe too! even smaller!. best regards jimi.

I can just see an old Singer painted Lime Green! Or Safety/Blaze Orange, perhaps?

I bought a Chinese lathe 'cos I wanted something that I could use right away. Not that expensive and works well, although it wouldn't suit you Chayse 'cos it's painted grey.:lol:

:lol: @dikman...my lathe is the only thing that I changed the color on....ALL the rest of my machinery....yep,,,Machine Gray! I completely disassembled and stripped the lathe, hence why I changed the color. My other tools are far too complex and would be very time consuming to strip and repaint! 

I like your idea of an old singer painted a non-factory color...add a little chrome....I think it would be beautiful (as well as functional). Maybe one day once I catch up on all my projects!

Hmm, could be onto something here, custom painting to suit the buyer - camo to suit a hunter, green for a Vegan, rainbow for a ......... etc, etc.:rolleyes:.