jkuc003

Low shank to high shank conversion

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Looking at converting a low shank machine to accept high shank feet, it's not going to be used for any heavy leather so machine won't be used outside its capabilities, just wanting to have access to the huge range of high quality high shank feet. 

Has anyone conducted such a conversion?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks tricky - What machine model do you have and what feet would you like to use that you can't use?

You will have to raise the presser bar high enough to allow the high shank feet to screw onto it. This assumes that the bottom of the head is tall enough to clear the top of the presser foot mounting bracket. Then, there must be enough additional vertical clearance to allow you to lift the foot with the lifting lever to remove material and release the thread tension, without the top of the foot hitting the head and halting its movement. Some industrial presser feet that only have a needle hole may not line up with your needle bar. Those with slots may clear the needle enough to allow you to sew.

If you are able to do all these things, the final step is to set the machine to center the needle in the slot or hole in the foot, in straight stitch mode (no zig-zag).

I'm going to guess that this isn't going to happen as the O.P. hopes.

Thank you. 

The machine in question is a Bernina 117L, as per the attached picture, the original feet are not high nor low shank and are no longer accessible. I understand I would have to machine a new presser bar but was more interested in whether or not someone had done this before. 

Cheers

IMG_9579.PNG

Just from looks, it may be that there is actually an *offset adapter* attaching the foot to the bar that could be replaced or modded....you need to determine where the needle position center needs to be in relation to the presser foot bar, and whether this machine does a right home or left home like several makes of ZZ machines do.

-DC

This is the only one I've ever seen for an industrial, from my notes.

PfaffLowShank.jpg

7 hours ago, SARK9 said:

Just from looks, it may be that there is actually an *offset adapter* attaching the foot to the bar that could be replaced or modded....you need to determine where the needle position center needs to be in relation to the presser foot bar, and whether this machine does a right home or left home like several makes of ZZ machines do.

-DC

Sorry I should have mentioned it had an adaptor and I have the option to create a shorter adaptor to suit a high shank foot or machine a completely new presser bar. 

I dont see it as being a hard task, just interested in seeing if someone else has done something similar. 

The machine is center home needle, with a function to set needle position as left, center, or right, as per most modern zigzag machines. 

Thanks for the input. 

Edited by jkuc003