Mike Wise

Crossdraw sheath for an old fashioned damascus knife

Good morning all. I don't often post, but thought I'd share this latest project. I recently purchased a knife that came with a rather 'commercial' looking sheath, and to my eye didn't compliment the blade. Deciding to make a new one, I made a few mistakes, or bad choices anyway, but am fairly happy with the result. My stitching needs work, I should have used a heavier leather, and I battled with burnishing the belt slots. One of my stitching lines is not where I originally planned it. Natural veg tan leather, finished with a combination of Carnauba wax, beeswax, neatsfoot oil and turpentine. I'll put up a few pictures, from a cellphone I'm afraid, and look forward to any comments and criticisms.

58f86564308c9_Crossdrawpancake1.jpg.2a393f9aeca8346757e456df4e5110a8.jpg58f865a287f4a_Crossdrawpancake2.jpg.43fb875d8067444228a3e859006c05f7.jpg58f865bceb6b9_Crossdrawpancake5.jpg.e32c1c0f232f6d35337691a6870d16e3.jpg

Thanks for having a look,

All the best,

Mike

It looks plenty good to hang on a belt. Whether you used a bag punch or a knife for your slots, it needs to be sharper.

Where did the knife come from? I have been searching for a roach belly for awhile.

Nice looking sheath Mike.  Did you use a welt along the blade?  Can't tell from the pictures.

Thank you B M, appreciate the comments. I used a slot punch, but had to shift it a couple of times to get the length. The knife is from Dennis Kappetijn in Tshwane, South Africa. www.kappetijnknives.com is his website. Cheers, Mike.

Thanks Gary, yes, the sheath is made of three layers of leather, the inner one having a blade shaped cutout forming the welt.

All the best, Mike

it looks good Mike. I like that is is not over tooled. Its clean looking not gaudy

Nice blade and nice sheath. I like the look of the pebble (or bubble some say) tooling and have used it places but not the main pattern as you did. worked well I think .

Jack, dikman and plinkercases, thank you for your kind comments. I was pleased with the effect of the tooling, and possibly more so since I made the stamp myself, not having been able to find one in my neck of the woods.

All the best, Mike