bikermutt07

Can anyone identify this machine?

This is on Craigslist list locally.

Thanks.00y0y_7KWK5FNrSNd_600x450.jpg.6ace3e52f4caf3f66fbb3e00195efcac.jpg

00A0A_l2zHIJHcy6P_600x450.jpg.ff143818d8361b44656b69edc6edc8b5.jpg

00Y0Y_bJnA5tfmSVS_600x450.jpg.142d2c5af53b095f262006cbd080fbec.jpg

Here's one more pic.00A0A_2cQZm1tfjYh_600x450.jpg.e6163558ea11d12dfec776849c669ceb.jpg

Not sure of the exact model but it appears to be in the style of a Singer 7 class machine.

I´d think twice if you really want this machine for leather work. It´s for sure great for very heavy canvas and webbing work. Look at it, test sew it and then decide.

Hi,

I see a walking foot, so my guess is it's a Singer 7-33. Should have 9/16 " presser foot clearance.

Greets

Ralf C.

Thanks.

Owner claims that it sews leather great but needs minor adjustment. $600.00

Does this model have available parts and feet?

It for sure sews leather - domestic machines also sew leather - question is it the right machine for your project. Sewing a few straight lines on some scrap leather is not really leather work - if you know what I mean.  ;)

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

It for sure sews leather - domestic machines also sew leather - question is it the right machine for your project. Sewing a few straight lines on some scrap leather is not really leather work - if you know what I mean.  ;)

Yes, I take your meaning.....

It looks like a work horse with some really large thread.

Yes,it's a workhorse BUT it's more suited for webbing & canvas since it has feed dogs in it & the feet are awful large too.Years ago we used to rebuild a lot of these & even modify them to sew over 3/4" & also used to put reverse on them.I think this might be one we worked on since it has a thread lock the same handwheel on it & we used to paint them gray.Some of the parts are getting hard to find.Since the 441 style sew with better looking results we stopped selling the Singer 7's years ago.

That's what I call a handwheel, I think it is a Adler cl. 20. Based on the fixing of the leaf spring on top of the head, on the Singer 7 the base of the spring is casted in the head. Hard to see clearly on these pictures.

Tor

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Yes,it's a workhorse BUT it's more suited for webbing & canvas since it has feed dogs in it & the feet are awful large too.Years ago we used to rebuild a lot of these & even modify them to sew over 3/4" & also used to put reverse on them.I think this might be one we worked on since it has a thread lock the same handwheel on it & we used to paint them gray.Some of the parts are getting hard to find.Since the 441 style sew with better looking results we stopped selling the Singer 7's years ago.

I may go take a look. If the feed dogs have been smoothed out maybe it would be a cheap temporary way into the heavier sewers.

Back when we sold them all you could buy was the Adler 205-370 f/$5,000.00 & we sold these f/$1,850.00,it might be a good way to get started.It's priced cheap enough too that you'll never get hurt.

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

Back when we sold them all you could buy was the Adler 205-370 f/$5,000.00 & we sold these f/$1,850.00,it might be a good way to get started.It's priced cheap enough too that you'll never get hurt.

Thanks, Bob. 

Well here is my Singer 7 head in the Black next to the Adler 20 head.   They look the same to me.

IMG_6631.thumb.JPG.d9c251fb579979d2270bdb3fe970cc4c.JPG

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

I've read your description before on how to increase the sewing thickness, but how did you modify them for reverse? I have a few ideas rattling around in my brain that would involve stitching over 1", and might be able to find houseroom for a 7...

only forward----------> no reverse.  You stop lift the foot up with the needle down, turn the project 180 then put the foot down, then sew over the last few stiches.  While they are tough machines it will be hard to get them to sew an inch thick. 

9 minutes ago, Yetibelle said:

only forward----------> no reverse.  You stop lift the foot up with the needle down, turn the project 180 then put the foot down, then sew over the last few stiches.  While they are tough machines it will be hard to get them to sew an inch thick. 

Yes, I do that with some of my machines which are not fitted for reverse, like my BUSM/Pearson 6 and my Singer 45k. However some designs do not allow or make it inconvenient for reverse, and so it would be handy.

Singer 7s can be modified to sew >1".

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

Yes, I do that with some of my machines which are not fitted for reverse, like my BUSM/Pearson 6 and my Singer 45k. However some designs do not allow or make it inconvenient for reverse, and so it would be handy.

Singer 7s can be modified to sew >1".

How do you like yours for leather.

13 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

How do you like yours for leather.

BUSM6: beautiful. 45K: works fine. 7: don't have one (yet).

1 minute ago, Matt S said:

BUSM6: beautiful. 45K: works fine. 7: don't have one (yet).

Somehow I quoted you instead of yeti.

2 hours ago, Yetibelle said:

Well here is my Singer 7 head in the Black next to the Adler 20 head.   They look the same to me.

IMG_6631.thumb.JPG.d9c251fb579979d2270bdb3fe970cc4c.JPG

How do you like it for leather?

It works great.  Since I sew canvas and leather most of the time it's fine, but they are right with the big foot and being a flatbed it's harder to accomplish detailed work on smaller projects.  It all depends on what your making and how many turns and corners you will have.  I love the look of 346 and 415 thread but it's not really necessary for most projects.  

31 minutes ago, Yetibelle said:

It works great.  Since I sew canvas and leather most of the time it's fine, but they are right with the big foot and being a flatbed it's harder to accomplish detailed work on smaller projects.  It all depends on what your making and how many turns and corners you will have.  I love the look of 346 and 415 thread but it's not really necessary for most projects.  

Thanks I had planned on a big and small machine. So this could fill the ticket.

I think I would put this to belts, sheaths, and cc holsters.

4 hours ago, Matt S said:

I've read your description before on how to increase the sewing thickness, but how did you modify them for reverse? I have a few ideas rattling around in my brain that would involve stitching over 1", and might be able to find houseroom for a 7...

If you want to sew over a 1" you better get a 97-10.The Singer 7 head needs to be cut under where the needle comes out & a longer than standard needle is used.For the reverse we took all the stitch length parts out & had a special bracket made that goes out the back & also had to heat & bend the feed back to make it go back in the same holes,which was hit or miss because the feed dogs might not get a good grip causing the length to vary.That is the advantage of a walking foot needlefeed.

I have a hard enough time getting the 80-100 year old machines to work the way they are meant too.  I suspect most of these machines we restore had been in service for 50 plus years before they end up in the back of a barn or basement for another 20 or 30 years before I find them.  So restoring them is reward enough for me.  :rolleyes: