arz

Amy Roke Polyester Thread Problem

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate some feedback about the Amy Roke Polyester thread. We are really frustrated, any help would be wonderful.

I am having a problem with the Amy Roke poly threads (532 size). I have searched the internet, asked questions (on Instagram), and it seems that I am the only one having this issue. For reference I have used and have Tiger thread and Lin Cable. We are using Wuta pricking irons in 7, 8, and 9 spi. We have been using the Amy Roke for a few months on many items.

Here is our problem: The wax or coating on the thread is coming off. You can take your fingernail and scratch it off, or with very light use it will start to look like it is fraying. If you look closely the fibers are fine, but it is in fact the wax that is coming off (the wax from the factory, most of the time we do not wax it before sewing). It looks terrible. Sometime you can burnish it off by taking a cloth and rubbing hard, very hard. This is happening with multiple colors, whether we wax the thread or not etc. We have 24 of the colors so it is not just one spool. I am confident the thread is strong. However, I cannot send a product out with this happening.

I compared this to Tiger thread. Tiger thread will discolor a bit with wear but it's not near as bad as Amy Roke and it does not look like it is fraying. Lin Cable does not seem to have this problem at all.

Is anyone having this problem? Is there a solution? Am I doing something wrong? I would LOVE to be told I am doing something wrong :)

Here are some photos (it is hard to get a good photo of it). Trust me though, it does not look good in person...

Thanks!
Adam

IMG_3895.JPG.4212de8af0ccd30df89961ea0e660b90.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG.393fb92b808592a3ba232b0b4a2ace10.JPG

Hi Adam: I have no idea about Amy Roke Polyester thread but have you considered making a groove or a crease for the stitching (front and back)? If the stitches are recessed maybe thread will last longer.  

22 minutes ago, gigi said:

Hi Adam: I have no idea about Amy Roke Polyester thread but have you considered making a groove or a crease for the stitching (front and back)? If the stitches are recessed maybe thread will last longer.  

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunantly, a groove will not work with some of the leather I use. The strength of the thread is fine, I have no concern about the wear, just how it looks. At this point I will use Lin Cable, it's easy enough to get from France :) Just hate that I bought all this thread and it is doing this. I thought Amy Roke poly would be a great thread giving the reviews on the linen thread they sell and their pricking irons...

I see - I would contact Amy Roke to let them know.

They advertise this as: 'New waxed polyester thread with smoother touchiness and glossiness.'...  Maybe you can return them.

10 hours ago, gigi said:

I see - I would contact Amy Roke to let them know.

They advertise this as: 'New waxed polyester thread with smoother touchiness and glossiness.'...  Maybe you can return them.

I sent Amy Roke an email, giving them the same details here. We will see if they respond...

Someone on Instagram suggested I use a hairdryer to melt the wax back into the thread. After some work this did work. Is this normal? I did not add any additional wax to this thread. I do not have to do this with Tiger or Lin Cable. Is this a manufacturing fault? It is not worth my time to melt the wax back into the thread. 

Thanks, Adam

Another photo showing what I mean in more detail.IMG_3926.thumb.JPG.90ce6f3d2bc487c5dce3d43ff7f04c51.JPG

Another one.

IMG_0027_small.thumb.jpg.70ba0f7ab3238f5dc6a956005ba95258.jpg

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

What happens if you run it through beeswax block? 

Thank you for the interest! Same thing. The belt above I did wax before sewing. I would say it makes it worse... I am in contact with Amy Roke. I appreciate that they answered my email and are looking into it. I don't want to cause them any trouble or be difficult. Amy Roke thread is loved by many people so it is probably just some of my thread that are doing this.

If this was happening with other threads then I would mark it down as user error. However, I have no problems with Lin Cable or Tiger, and we have sewn a lot of items.

What I would really like is to hear the experience of other people who have used the Amy Roke poly and have tested it in real life wear.

Guessing here, but I suspect that your machine has a very tight stitch.  Sometimes, when the thread is under high tension, the thread fiber stretches longer than the wax can accommodate.  And sometimes it necks down, which also leads to shedding the outside coating.  You can sometimes see this happen around tight bends, where the thread tension gets very high.  

Check your machine to see if there are any sharp edges that the thread contacts.  A 90 deg edge on stainless steel needs to be buffed down.  You can also try reducing your stick tension, but most people don't want to consider doing that.  

Is that not hand stitching thread?

YinTx

10 hours ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Guessing here, but I suspect that your machine has a very tight stitch....

Thank you for the tips but I am hand stitching. I'm sorry if I put this topic in the wrong spot :) -Adam

Edited by arz

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

Is that not hand stitching thread?

YinTx

Yes it is. -Adam

Update: I emailed Amy Roke and we exchanged a few emails. In the last email I sent (May 29th) I asked them if they considered this normal wear for their poly thread and if this is what I should expect. They have not emailed me back a response to those questions.

I also talked to a very good leather worker on Instagram and he has had the same problem, so it is not just me :)

My advice and conclusion is not to buy these threads. I would not want anyone else to spend the amount of money I did and have the same experience!

-Adam