Why coaster leather sealed?    I thought coaster were for moisture protection.

Howard

If you don't seal it it will discolor and stain. Coasters are to protect tables and other surfaces. You won't make it water proof but water resistant.

6 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

If you don't seal it it will discolor and stain. Coasters are to protect tables and other surfaces. You won't make it water proof but water resistant.

You can make it waterproof if you seal it with some beeswax; there are a few of us that make our own blends of finishes that do just that.  I have set a piece of leather that I have treated on both sides and finished the edges (burnished) with my blend of beeswax and Pure Neatsfoot Oil in some water and all it did was float; didn't absorb any water.  I use this blend now on everything I make, including my Coaster sets.

I've got beeswax, and I've got pure neatsfoot oil, but I don't know the proper ratio. Is it 50/50 or some other magical mixture? And, is it just rubbed in like saddle soap? 

50/50 is a good starting point, and makes something roughly like shoe shine can polish.  A bit more NFO will make it more like a cream.  More wax will make it a bit harder.  A little eucalyptus oil adds a really nice aroma and acts as a preservative too.   Experiment a bit to see what works for you.  Cupcake papers make a nice container for medium to hard blends.  Just rub the puck right on the leather, or use a rag.   Softer blends will need a rag or something to apply.

Bill

Thanks, Bill!

3 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I've got beeswax, and I've got pure neatsfoot oil, but I don't know the proper ratio. Is it 50/50 or some other magical mixture? And, is it just rubbed in like saddle soap? 

I have mine at 40/60 (beeswax to NFO) and it is firm but still goes on smooth.  If you want to get it into the pores just apply a little heavier coating and then hit it with a hair dryer and let it slowly sink into the leather, apply another thinner coating on top of that and let it sit for about 12 hours before you buff.

Good tips. I think I have a tendency to buff too soon. Impatient.