JPUK100

British Leather suitable for watch straps

Hi

I am looking to source a British Leather suitable for making watch straps - for example Shell Cordovan, English Bridle, Calf.

Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Jonathan

Sorry this list isn't exhaustive but I was a bit short of time and only managed to look at the first page of internet search results for 'UK leather supplier'.

aa crack

metropolitan

sedgewick

abbey

artisan leather

pittards

le prevo

j wood

neumann

a w midgeley

ebay

amazon

5 hours ago, JPUK100 said:

Hi

I am looking to source a British Leather suitable for making watch straps - for example Shell Cordovan, English Bridle, Calf.

Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I assume for making watch straps you probably want to order small quantities. I am wanting to practise making some and  am going to order from the Identity Store where they sell small lots of calf, kangaroo or stallion

Jonathan, do you want leather of any origin sold in the UK, hides tanned abroad but curried in the UK, hides from any origin tanned and curried in the UK or hides from British livestock tanned and curried in the UK? For instance Sedgwick produces some lovely bridle but is tanned in Europe and curried in the UK. Baker's bridle on the other hand is from selected West Country hides, range and curried in their Colyton works.

Thank you Gary, Matt and Dunlace. 

Gary, Matt - thank you, I'll follow up with your suggestions.

Dunlace - good questions, I'm not sure, we are looking to sell watch straps made from British Leather, though looking at your question I am unsure to what exactly would constitute British leather

Thank you

Jonathan

Jonathan,

British leather or British made - That there is a can of worms.

The trade descriptions act 1968 states that:

"36 Country of origin.

(1)For the purposes of this Act goods shall be deemed to have been manufactured or produced in the country in which they last underwent a treatment or process resulting in a substantial change.

(2)The Board of Trade may by order specify—

(a)in relation to any description of goods, what treatment or process is to be regarded for the purposes of this section as resulting or not resulting in a substantial change;

(b)in relation to any description of goods different parts of which were manufactured or produced in different countries, or of goods assembled in a country different from that in which their parts were manufactured or produced, in which of those countries the goods are to be regarded for the purposes of this Act as having been manufactured or produced."

could depend if tanning and/or currying is seen as making the most substantial change.

Taking leather and making it into a watch strap must be a significant change so the straps would be 'made in Britain' and the leathergoods be from British suppliers or sources.

probably best to speak to someone professional in trading standards.

Hope my input produces more light than heat.

Gary