I made a holster for a friend of mine. It was a lot of work and I learned quite a bit. There are a billion things I can see wrong with it, y'all know what I mean, but overall I think it came out pretty good. 

20170529_111143.jpg

20170529_111206.jpg

20170529_111336.jpg

20170529_111304.jpg

I used 7-9 oz shoulder with a 2-3 oz liner. The inside is mahogany (I love this color) and black on the outside. I used black lacing cord to stitch it all together.

Observations, I need a belt loop slot punch bad, that is the sorriest part of the piece and I feel bad for it. I punched holes on each corner and then joined them with a utility knife. It worked but it is less than pretty. 

The retention is pretty good and you can only really shake it out if you are slinging on it pretty hard.

The belt loop could have been a mm or 2 wider. I read that you want it snug so there isn't much if any play on the belt when you go to pull the gun out and I think I miscalculated for the thickness of the leather when I made the loop. It will probably loosen up some with use.

On the wet forming, I had a hell of a time getting the ejection port and trigger wells to imprint. And when I did I had some additional tool marks that I didn't want or intend to remain. I have more tool marks around the edge and the loop too. I figure it gives it a bit of character and handmadeness even if it is amateur grade, which it is.

Thanks to @JLSleather for the how to make a holster guide. 

Edited by battlemunky

First I think it looks great. I have to make one for mine sometime. 

You don't really need a belt loop punch. It does make it easier but isn't necessary. What you did is fine. I would just try using a smaller knife like an exacto and a straight edge. It will loosen up too. Something I've seen a lot of people do is make a short belt blank. Like a strip of leather the width and thickness of the belt to be used and form the loops with that. Idk if that helps or not :/ 

I honk you did well. Wet molding gives me trouble too with them tool marks. I try and smooth them out with a modeling spoon. But it doesn't always work. 

I like it!

@Stetson912 and @Clintock, thank you very much!