480volt

Luberto/ASE #9

IMG_0637.JPGI just picked this machine up off Craigslist, it was listed as a Classic but it appears to be be a #9, made by ASE but perhaps sold by Tony Luberto. The PO had aquired it used but never actually used it much, if at all. Any documentation, spare parts, accessories, drive belt, needles and bobbins have been lost, though there is currently a needle and bobbin in the machine. The machine is not currently threaded, the stitching sample in the photo is from the PO's ad.  In the attached photos, you can see the front tension assembly, which I think was bent while the machine was being stored. Most online photos of these machines are of classics, which have a different tension assembly. Anybody have a photo of how that tension should look and how the machine should be threaded? I'm also looking for a copy of the owners manual, and any other relevant information on the machine. 

Thanks in advance,

Ken

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

Hello

Try doing a search for "Information on Classic Cub manual stitcher"  on this forum.

It will give you a bit of information at the very least.

Congradulations on your purchase.

Kirk

I would very much like to have one of those (I have its ancestor, the Pearson No 6). However I don't know of a single one this side of the pond, and they aren't very common even on yours.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Nice looking machine. From the look of that tension assembly it shouldn't take much to straighten it.

Thank you, Docado and Matt S for  your feedback. Matt, since you have a Pearson, which pretty much defined this genre of leather stitchers, what would be the advantage of a Luberto #9? I doubt I'll ever be in the position to make a comparison.

The Pearson 6 has what I would describe as a semi-cylinder bed, which is about 2" square. However because it uses a bullet shuttle there is about 3" between the left edge of the arm and the needle. This makes it awkward to sew certain objects, and I essentially have to treat it as a flat bed. No particular fault of this machine, it is a product of its time and was designed for sewing traces and other long, tedious parts of harness. There are also some issues getting spare parts and consumables, since most of these are proprietary to the no6, of which only 10,000 were ever made, and production stopped decades ago. I have an adequate supply of spares for my own use and can have more made up if I feel the need, but it would be handy to be able to just order, say, a new presser foot and a dozen bobbins.

The Classic/9, as you know, uses a shuttle assembly of the Singer 45k type which means that parts are very readily available and you only have a few mm distance between the edge of the arm and the needle, which helps access to certain jobs.

I have that very machine or just like it if anyone is interested I'd probably sell it