I just picked up this machine local from a guy for a pretty good price the other day. From what I can find it will handle very similar stuff to my juki 1541. My question is how goodof a machine is this and how reliable will it be. I swore I wouldn't buy used again after the fiasco I am having with a Seiko, but the deal was too good to pass up. 

Those made in Japan Consew 206RBs are outstanding machines. One of the industry standards. They sew with up to #138 thread and 3/8" thick . I have one just like it, and I really enjoy working with it. Going strong decades after its manufacture.

Oh very cool. I knew consew was a good brand. Now I guess to decide if it's better than my brand new juki 1541s? I can't keep both as I don't have room in my shop. Or possibly store it in case I can ever expand my shop for production type stuff. 

Edited by Jordanball33

does anyone know if this is a better built machine than a new juki? I'm very skeptical about keeping an old machine running good. but some say the old ones are better made

I'd personally keep the JUKI first and the Consew set up for backup...or settings you normally wouldn't use on the 1541, although you could still do..... Dedicated binder etc.

25 minutes ago, mixmkr said:

I'd personally keep the JUKI first and the Consew set up for backup...or settings you normally wouldn't use on the 1541, although you could still do..... Dedicated binder etc.

I purchased a seiko cw8b as a binding machine for my bags. It has a repair quote for as much as I paid for it(never used it). So I think thats a big part in scaring me about a used machine. I wish I had just bought a new machine instead of that one. Although I would love to be able to get. used ones and have them repaired/tuned up for a reasonable cost. 

On 6/9/2017 at 2:18 PM, Jordanball33 said:

does anyone know if this is a better built machine than a new juki? I'm very skeptical about keeping an old machine running good. but some say the old ones are better made

Both are very high quality Japanese built machines.  The main difference is that the Consew 206RB was first introduced in the 1970s, and the Juki DNU-1541 Series is new, and current.  But again both are very high quality machines, and parts for both are easy to get to date.