Sheilajeanne

Cutting A Really Long Strap

Okay, I'd like to make a really long leather leash for tracking with my dog. How would you cut something like this, that's going to be wider than a cowhide is long?

I haven't quite decided on the perfect length - something between 12 and 16 ft. would be about right. I've got a strap cutter - just need to know how to get such a long piece, and still have a fairly uniform thickness.

you could cut it in the same way one would cut a long thong; start from a circular hole in the hide, using a strap cutter of your choice cut it out by enlarging that hole from the inside. Once cut out, soak it in water and stretch it straight by attaching the ends to something solid. It should dry pretty straight.

added; if you start with leather thicker than you really want, you can then take it through a skiver to bring it down to a uniform thickness

Edited by fredk

Great idea! In had the same issue making a 9' long leash. Didn't think about cutting it like lace - I cut two pieces and connected with a glued and sewn splice. -- John

You could try searching for bleed knot. It might be a good way to use 2 or more pieces to make a longer leash.

Ray

Or, you can connect two shorter leads with a D-ring and a swiveling clip.  Advantage: doesn't tangle as easily, you can have a shorter leash when you prefer that.