Dun

Tips for hand stitched threads that are up against skin?

Tried a pair of sandals but the ankle strap connection points kept breaking the skin on my foot no matter how much I grooved the stitchline. I ended up just covering the unused stitch holes with rivets. Any suggestions for that kind of connection point?

next5.jpg&key=f2d3880f510acf398e176fa4a9

next6.jpg&key=478b3a10555eac12db64d4bb92

I just made a pair of sandles. Toe hold and arch strap... lots of lessons learned.

1 minute ago, kiwican said:

I just made a pair of sandles. Toe hold and arch strap... lots of lessons learned.

Oh yeah! Lots of lessons. Technically this is my second pair but the first ones were actually wearable. These are, but I want to do better.

I've been field testing mine. Not unhappy for a first go prototype bit the 2nd pair will be better f9r sure 

Take a look at Birkenstocks.  Their sandals have the straps cut from a single piece on each side.  You wouldn't necessarily need to do that for all straps, but is you combine the topmost strap and heel-strap, that would eliminate the stitching / riveting at the join.  

Bill

On 6/10/2017 at 8:27 AM, billybopp said:

Take a look at Birkenstocks.  Their sandals have the straps cut from a single piece on each side.  You wouldn't necessarily need to do that for all straps, but is you combine the topmost strap and heel-strap, that would eliminate the stitching / riveting at the join.  

Bill

But how does birkenstock attach the buckles?

These are really cool! I'd love to make a pair!

6 hours ago, ByNelson said:

IMG_7266.PNG

That image does not show how the buckle is held in place on the leather that is against the skin. Is it a loop stitched or riveted across the buckle's center post?

Edited by Dun

59 minutes ago, Dun said:

That image does not show how the buckle is held in place on the leather that is against the skin. Is it a loop stitched or riveted across the buckle's center post?

I'll take a pic of mine when I get home  :)

5 hours ago, ByNelson said:

I'll take a pic of mine when I get home  :)

Thanks. 

Machine stitching is fine rubbing against skin but I'm having trouble finding examples of how other sandals hide hand made details

7 hours ago, Dun said:

Thanks. 

Machine stitching is fine rubbing against skin but I'm having trouble finding examples of how other sandals hide hand made details

Ok so Birkenstock clam it I think... took to pictures, hope it helps...

IMG_7270.JPG

And they have a felt lining....

Edited by ByNelson

Huh, so basically  they staple it. Not what I was expecting.

Still, there must be a way to use regular saddle stitches. 

31 minutes ago, Dun said:

Huh, so basically  they staple it. Not what I was expecting.

Still, there must be a way to use regular saddle stitches. 

But you could just use stitches in the same way... just make them close together.... ? And a lining would not be a bad idea... well good luck  :)

8 minutes ago, ByNelson said:

But you could just use stitches in the same way... just make them close together.... ? And a lining would not be a bad idea... well good luck  :)

Thanks. I guess I'll have to see how well a lining will stay without being stitched in place.

Have you got a photo of your foot in it? Is it the angle of the strap that's causing it to pull when your foot is moving? And the width of the stitches that creates a perforation? I'd skive the end and loop the strap around the strap you've riveted it so it moves when it needs to if you want to keep the design. That way the stitching/rivet isn't on the stress point.