GrayHallidayJr

Low Down Honky Tonk Blues

Yes, that is a rabid squirrel. My new hide from Wickett & Craig arrived! Pricey after all is said and done. Beautiful leather. Can't wait to try out something other than the cheapest Tandy hides- you can really see the marks on this piece of saddle skirting, especially on the fiddle player and double bass. This one is part of my Urinal Series, Low Down Honky Tonk Blues.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

Can't wait to see you tooling on quality leather.

Your stuff is awesome.

You've done it again!   Great work. 

First try on the new new Wickett & Craig hide. I'm immediately spoiled. How can I ever go back? Thank you for the recommendation, BikerMutt! 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Just took another look at this - your detail is amazing. I love the way you incorporated the moon into the scroll. So imaginative! Keep em coming.

Awesome as usual. On the second one, the pebble grounder. Do you rotate the tool when you is it? It just seems like the pattern is predictable and I was thinking that rotating the tool as you go would randomize it more. Just a thought 

10 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Awesome as usual. On the second one, the pebble grounder. Do you rotate the tool when you is it? It just seems like the pattern is predictable and I was thinking that rotating the tool as you go would randomize it more. Just a thought 

Are you talking about the White Lightning piece? You're right, rotating the tool would change it up. I was just messing around with this scrap to try out the new hide. But the pebble grounder is a fairly new purchase that I don't have much experience with. It's a great suggestion! Thank you. 

Is that little feller in White Lightning a hearin aid?:rofl:

Yup the white lightning one. I did notice the pebble grounder in the other piece too but it's more spread out and not repetitive like the white lightning one. But that's what scraps is fer. Haha. I still love your work and still am jealous. Haha. 

9 hours ago, JD62 said:

Is that little feller in White Lightning a hearin aid?:rofl:

Haha! I carved the lynched cowboy before carving into the face. Just messing around with scrap. But yes, it turned out as a hung cowboy hearing aid. Ha. 

9 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Yup the white lightning one. I did notice the pebble grounder in the other piece too but it's more spread out and not repetitive like the white lightning one. But that's what scraps is fer. Haha. I still love your work and still am jealous. Haha. 

Thank you. As you know, we're all trying to improve. Having fun. Thanks again!

On 6/22/2017 at 5:40 AM, Sofaspud said:

Just took another look at this - your detail is amazing. I love the way you incorporated the moon into the scroll. So imaginative! Keep em coming.

Thank you! 

I really like your work!

On 6/23/2017 at 10:06 AM, CTaylorJr said:

I really like your work!

Thank you! 

I think anyone of us can confirm that "the process" of leatherwork brings satisfaction, regardless of the project's outcome (good or bad). Those waves of pride (as we are sometimes pleased with our own work) and despair (you know what I'm talking about) make it such an interesting hobby/career pursuit. That ability to improve is so rewarding, no matter what skill level we are.

Sometimes you just have to flip the bird to those moments of frustration and despair, and keep carving! 

FullSizeRender.jpg

Ja buddy! I had one of those "bird" moments the other day when it turned out that I had screwed up the the spacing on some bullet loops I was working on.  Oh well, redraw the pattern and move on - another in a long line of learning experiences. 

Love your carving of the bird by the way.  Your use of the pebbled background is much cleaner on this piece. We are all learning as we go, part of the joy (and frustration ) of this craft of ours.

I ended up liking The Bird so much I finished it out a bit, still leaving it real rough. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg