Hi all. What do you use when making several of the same item? I am needing something I can trace around to make the same cuts each time and streamline my process. Besides a heavy cardstock, what is available and what would you suggest....

Thanking you in advance. 

Christine

the templates sold online are made out of acrylic..

i use chipboard/cardboard. its cheap, and easy to make

I use a thin gauge plastic to make some of my patterns. You can write on it with a magic marker and if you're punching holes, you can use your leather tools to do the work.  It's not expensive and holds its shape when wet. 

I use formica for templates and patterns for leather items and also for the knives I make on a regular basis.  Easy to get from the local home improvement store.

I oversize trace my template onto the formica, then trim it down with shears.  Once the roughing is done, I use a belt sander to take it down to the correct size/shape.

Caution, sand the edges, it can be sharp after cutting it.

I normally do a paper pattern first to make sure everything works out right and then if I like the paper pattern I cthe trace the paper pattern on to those flimsy cutting mats that are made for your kitchen and then cut those out with a cheap pair of scissors they make a great pattern if you need something larger they make shelf liners you can buy on Amazon made out of the same material

I buy my plastic in 4' x 8' sheets.  I also proof-test my patterns on card stock prior to making the hard copy.

I use two types of plastics; the thin cutting mats that you can get from any store is used for items that will have limited runs, while using a thicker plastic that I buy in sheets off of Amazon (less than 1/8" thick) is used for all items that are a common "staple" of my works.  Both of them have a much longer life span than any paper based materials and they don't respond negatively to moisture so there is no curling up or anything else that happens when your cardboard gets wet.

I always make a paper mock-up of everything I make to ensure that the proportions are correct and that the end results are what is intended; once the mock-up is confirmed I transfer the pattern to the appropriate plastic and that is it.

I seldom make many of the same item. If it's something you'll be doing a ton of I would invest in an acrylic template. People can make custom ones for you with holes drilled out and such. And has the advantage of being clear in case you have to see the leather beneath the template for some reason. 

Personally, I start with paper and if I want to keep the pattern for another few uses I'll make one out of corrugated cardboard. Sometimes I'll put duct tape on the faces of the cardboard to make it a bit tougher and keep it from bending but not always. Acrylic is obviously far better but, I don't have use for it so it isn't worth the investment for me personally. 

Black River Laser can cut custom templates for you. This is a great option, short of investing in clicker dies.

I use their premade dies and I am pretty happy with them.

Thank you everyone! I do the paper templates to make sure my measurements are correct but they do wear out. The standard that I have been using are wooden with the holes in the right spots that my husband made, but I'd like to be able to see through them too. At least I know I'm on the right road in the leather adventure that I love. Thank you all!

Christine