Rockoboy

Can anybody help me with detail of this machine?

Hi there Folks, Can Anybody assist me with information about a Toyota sewing machine I am considering buying? I've googled it several different ways, but I cannot find anything.

The model is DT6-AL254 and it is a 3 needle machine.

Apparently it has some problems with thread tension, but otherwise it appears to be in working order.

ad_0_1500213792410_resized.jpg

ad_4_1500213792437_resized.jpg

These feed-off-the-arm chainstitch machines are normally used for side seams on jeans, attaching tape, or similar operations. For $100, you can't really go wrong, though - it'll be good entertainment and learning experience no matter how it turns out. It's a gamble, though, especially if you can't find a service manual for it. I imagine it takes advanced sewing mechanic skills to keep these machines with three needles and six thread paths happy. Do a picture search and find a machine that looks very similar and has manuals available (e.g Brother DT6-926), then hope that the machines are very similar.

You might want to try searching Singer 231 for more info.

As Bob said, it's a copy of the Singer 231-7, 231-8. I still use one for felling medium weight fabric. Not built for denim because there is no front needle guard (important to chainstitch machines for heavy work). Fairly easy to work on as chainstitch machines go, but without a manual, you won't be able to make all the settings. Nothing at all like a lockstitch machine, but as Uwe stated, for the price it could be an interesting challenge. 

Regards, Eric 

Thank you for your input Gentlemen.

From the details I have obtained online, it would appear the Singer 231-34 or 231-35 would be closer to my machine. These two machines are the 3 needle variant.

The hunt for components continues as more (or different) information comes to light.

Take up lever DT6.jpg