Ch4rlie

Head knife

I'm new to working with leather and decided to make as many of my own tools as I could, I have posted this in my introduction post if anyone's interested, but thought I should now post else where within the forum, i have not seen a head knife in person only pictures or video of them being used. 

I made a card mock up for what felt comfortable and decided a short handle was most likely best for me. This can be altered if necessary at a later date if it proves to be the wrong decision.

heres a couple of pictures to show how it started life.

IMG_1132.jpgIMG_1135.jpgIMG_1154.jpgIMG_1155.jpg

Edited by Ch4rlie
correcting images

I like the wood on the handle.  What did you use to harden the blade?  Is it edge quenched or dipped?  What hardness were you able to achieve?  A lot of the round knives have the taper brought farther up the blade toward the handle, it can help if you are in thicker leather and trying to keep the knife moving.  I like that you are making as many of the tools as you can.

electrathon,

This was using carpentry tools in the back garden no work shop, it was defiantly a case of see what I end up with...

In the first image you can see I dry cut the basic back end of the knife I saw it was tempering the blade so when it came to the curved section I wet cut it, taking my time keeping it as cool as possible in an attempt not to loose its hardness, believe I achieved this because a file just skidded over the surface. The rounded shape was achieved slowly on a belt sander and dipped in water constantly to keep it cool. I also tapered the cutting edge with a battery angle grinder and a sanding attachmentwhich seemed to take for ever.  (Again kept cool as possible at all times) I managed to taper it back a about 15mm according to a steel rule. (The blade is 1.8mm thick according to my laser eye ball and a steel rule) so the edge seems thin to me don't know how this compares to a proper quality head knife..

I have not heat treated it at this time, I don't know how long it will hold an edge. 

The handle scales are only thin oak approx 6mm a side with a nice grain, I have "JB welded" them on and used wood dowels glued as the pins if this didn't work out the intention is I can butcher the handles off and have a go at heat treating the blade.

Hope this answers some of your questions

Thanks for sharing the process!

Very nice!

It even looks as though you could make two out of one saw blade?

Ch4rlie, I think you will find your main issue is the edge retention.  There is a book called the $50 knife shop that is directed at backyard knife making.  Skip over the forging part and read up on the edge hardening part.  It is a quenching method that is very simple to do at home.  You should get a far better cutting edge when finished.

electrathon,

thanks for the info, should it prove to be an issue, I shall look into gettining it heat treated.

I was cutting scraps, part of an old saddle I was given,  after cutting  this firm old leather, the blade still has an edge which grips my finger nail without sliding. For me first impressions are good, but only time will tell.

Its worth adding, I don't work with leather on a daily basis, so it may prove to be fine for the amount of work I will subject it to for any given project.