Leahlovesleather

Greetings from Australia

Hello from sunny Western Australia,

I have been dabbling in leatherwork for only a few months but have taken to it like a duck to water.  Ironically my mother's maiden name was Last - so maybe there is something in my DNA.  

Virtually everything I have learnt is from youtube.  A big "THANK YOU" to everyone on this site who has placed information on youtube.  Even little videos on things like thread comparison are really helpful and can save money.  I have watched so many tutorials that I am sure I have seen at least one of everyone's.  I note gmace99 is on here (UK Saddlery) I have watched lots of your videos and learnt heaps. Thank you so much.  PS: you're not that bad a cameraman.

Don't think I will ever take on making a saddle, but... who knows....  

I have just opened an Etsy shop: LTLAustralia  I only do small leathergoods and don't charge much compared to the time it takes to hand stitch, etc. Until I feel I am reallllllly good, I will be happy to sell cheaper. I don't want to use any machinery - I enjoy the traditional ways.

The range of info and the knowledge base on this forum is fabulous, and I look forward to learning a heap more.

Cheers,

Leah

Welcome Leah. Depending on exactly where you are, you might consider contacting, meeting, learning from and associating with the Leatherworkers Association of WA. Apparently they have a Facebook page, but I don't bother with facebook, Howie696 on this forum is your "go to man". He's a good bloke and he will always set you straight.

Thanks Rockoboy,

I had a look at the Leatherworker's Assoc. of WA and there is a heap of things there.  Mightcheck out some of howie696's posts now. 

Welcome fellow Aussie. There are a few Aussies that frequent this forum. Not sure how many over your way though, But a few here in QLD.

Good luck with Etsy. Been debating about whether to finally get mine going or not. 

Damien.

Hello Damien,

Etsy is cheap to get into.  I think I pay .20c per listing and a listing lasts for 3 months.   Might be worth listing a dozen or so pieces to test the water?!  I have a silver jewellery site on Etsy and have not sold much, but am selling a bit more of the leatherwork.