2/3 oz leather throughout. Tried the ecoflo waterstain dye. Light brown. Like the color not sure about how it "feels". Top coated with Leather Balm W/ atom wax. Tried the waterstain because the Feibings seem to make leather this light stiff and shrink. For me anyways.

IMG_20170731_113056_476.jpg

IMG_20170731_113056_475.jpg

IMG_20170731_113056_468.jpg

I think it looks good.  I made a wallet out of very lightweight goat skin once and I didn't like that it puckered/wrinkled in a few spots from the stitching.  Looks like you might have a little of that going on on the outside - but still looks good!

Gary

I like the look. Where did you get the Goat?

I like what you did, are you machine sewing these?  And I have the same problem with veg tanned leather, when I dye it, it gets real stiff oh my younger day anyway, then I will oil it but then at times that has presented a problem when I have not let the leather dry enough from the oil.  When it seems like I have over oiled glue wont stick to the leather.  let me know if the water based dyes are working a lot better for you in these cases.

Thanks

Ron

I hand stitch. I am always leery of oil because I'm scared of stuff getting soggy.lol

42 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I like what you did, are you machine sewing these?  And I have the same problem with veg tanned leather, when I dye it, it gets real stiff oh my younger day anyway, then I will oil it but then at times that has presented a problem when I have not let the leather dry enough from the oil.  When it seems like I have over oiled glue wont stick to the leather.  let me know if the water based dyes are working a lot better for you in these cases.

Thanks

Ron

On the thinner leather I will oil it first and let that set for about 12 to 24 hours before applying dye.  When applying the dye it needs to be done very lightly so as not to soak the leather (which is easy to do with 2 to 3 oz.).  I have never had the shrinkage problem as I always put the thinner leather on a rigid backing so that it can't really "draw up".

I have been splitting my own leather and I think I have it dialed in now for the thickness I want and did take one and oiled first, I have yet to dye it to see how it will turn out.  I guess I should do that and maybe go back to spraying it the color I want so as to not over do the dye. 

What kind of splitter do you use? Nice job.

Not sure what the maker uses but I have a cobra splitter.