Kelloggkid

Convert 208v 3 phase power source??

I am looking at buying a Juki lu563 from a commercial company that has gone out of business.  It has a 208v 3 phase power source.  The price is good however I have no idea what is involved in converting to 120v.  Is it as simple as swapping the motor for another one?  This would be my first motorized sewing machine so I'm not very familiar with motors, or the costs associated with them.

Does this sound like a difficult or expensive conversion?

Yes, replace the motor with a 120volt single phase (this is the common one) servo motor.  You will get better slow stitching with the swap too.

What he said :) ..you could convert the motor that you have to run on monophase, but, it would still go like a bat outta hell, much better to buy a monophase servo motor which will allow you to control it stitch by stitch, and which only consumes power when you actually press down on the pedal, better for your stitching, your nerves, and your wallet.Switching out the motors is really easy to do..Many threads here about servo motors.
copy this next line entirely "as it is".

site:leatherworker.net servo motor

then paste it into the search box of Google or Bing or whatever search engine you use, hit the "search" button..the search results will be all the times that servo motors have been discussed here at leatherworker.net

HTH :)

Thank you!!

You should also be able leave the existing motor as is and purchase a 120V to 3 phase 230 volt power supply.

Here is a link to a 1/2 HP unit https://is.gd/pweTVN.

1 HP unit: https://is.gd/X4Gl0y

Larger sizes are also available. I have used them up to 2 HP with 110V power in.

You should also be able leave the existing motor as is and purchase a 120V to 3 phase 230 volt power supply.

Here is a link to a 1/2 HP unit https://is.gd/pweTVN.

1 HP unit: https://is.gd/X4Gl0y

Larger sizes are also available. I have used them up to 2 HP with 110V power in.

Both those units would still leave the machine with a clutch motor that goes like a bat out of hell ( unless you get very good, takes some people a long time to learn how, some never get the hang of it, at "feathering the clutch" ), and runs all the time, consuming a lot of electrical power ( and money ) , whereas for around the same money as those "converters", you can get a servo motor that runs very slow, or fast ( set it how you want it to run ), much more control, much more torque ( can punch through thicker leather at slow speeds ) ..and only uses electrical power when you press the pedal.

Servo motors are also very quiet when they are running , compared with clutch motors which run all the time that they are switched on, and are noisy..you can run a servo motor machine in an apartment with neighbours below or above, with thin walls..a machine running a clutch motor will have your neighbours "disturbed". Edited by mikesc

I would take the motor assembly off before loading in truck.

If you struck a good deal then we are all glad :rockon:

Floyd

ps: machine photos are so cool