D2G

Question about pricking irons

Hi boys and girls!

Well I have a doubt or question about the space interior between teeth of a pricking iron. Which is the more small you know? Well now I have double trouble, the scales variety or measures, Inch, oz, milimeters etc, etc. Here I use mm.  
I'll try to explan my question with a picture in a few minutes, I think is important for beginners know the internal sizes of this tools. See you lather...

Attach picture

Priking-iron.png

Edited by D2G

Hello.

For no open new thread. Can one help me to know the sizes of spikes most used ir general in priking irons? Forget my back question, I understand is irrelevant the out sizes mesure of spikes.

But please, need help with the relations of pricking Iron, jj needles sizes/models, awl, and thread... Where is the basic set for beginners?

Edited by D2G

The basic sets for beginners aren't really paired all that well. 

I use JJ #2 with 4mm or 5mm chisels\irons. With these I use .6mm or .8mm tiger thread.

This usually takes awhile to sort out.

There is not much in the way of standard sizing passed down from the manufacturers.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

I use JJ #2 with 4mm or 5mm chisels\irons. With these I use .6mm or .8mm tiger thread.

There is not much in the way of standard sizing passed down from the manufacturers.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Thanks you for your time, here is night, tomorrow I expand my text...

22 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Ok, I'm here again.
When I question for packs to beginners I don`t mean for the typical packs you can buy in many webs, I refere to buy this separatelly. Example, jj#2 needles, tiger thread and, awls..?? and chisel..??

In the web site of John James I download an catalog/guide for needles, and well, after this great information I'm more lost, ha ha, but ok.
bikermutt07 you recommend a #2 size needles, but, what model? or, Are a model in special? I can see the eyes in catalog and this are some differents. I'll try to attach it to compare.

What you mean with 4mm size? size of the spikes or distance betwing spikes? in other words, when we see in the specification of products(chisel in this case) and can read, 3mm, 4mm etc, what is this measure, the distance betwing spikes or the spikes size.
Thank you very much.

I Can't attach, visit JJ website to see catalog. Sure you know that ;) 

Edited by D2G

John James harness needles. Personally, I use pricking irons and wheels. I don’t know about other manufacturers, but Blanchard never gives you specific dimensions of the individual teeth, just the number of teeth per inch. With pricking irons, the size of the impression doesn’t matter, you are controlling the size and angle of the hole with the awl. In regards to awls, there is no standard sizing between manufacturers, just try a couple and see what you like.

The spacing on chisels in mm is from point to point.

I muddled through all of this in the beginning myself. The Tandy store down the street was not any help. Tandy doesn't even regulate sizing within their own product line. Do the have needles, thread, chisels, pricking irons, and awls? Yes, but nothing in the packaging dictates on any one item how it fits with another item. I found it very frustrating.

Oh man... I need see or take more information before put my questions ha ha, so is not the same pricking iron, chisel and lacing chesel , look it this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQf8VQl96g

Volt 480 thanks for the needles model, harnes ok, ok,

bikermutt07 thanks for you time and comments, yes the begin is hurt, more if you are in other language ha ha, I've learn a lot in this 2 pas day, so Right.

Mmmm, a last question. How you see this chisels for beginning? https://leathercrafttools.com/item?id=8387&col=&sel_s=&sel_v=

Edited by D2G

If I was starting over again, I would buy the crimson hide 4mm chisels for saddle stitching. Crimson hides chisels are a cross between stitching chisels and irons. 4mm spacing can go a long way in range too. Of course this is subject to preference. To me anything I do smaller than 4mm looks cramped even with smaller thread. You can use .6mm or .8mm thread for just about anything with the 4mm spacing.

If you want to go bigger look at 5mm spacing and 1.0mm thread.

These are only my opinions though.

On 16/11/2017 at 7:54 PM, bikermutt07 said:

If I was starting over again, I would buy the crimson hide 4mm chisels for saddle stitching. Crimson hides chisels are a cross between stitching chisels and irons. 4mm spacing can go a long way in range too. Of course this is subject to preference. To me anything I do smaller than 4mm looks cramped even with smaller thread. You can use .6mm or .8mm thread for just about anything with the 4mm spacing.

If you want to go bigger look at 5mm spacing and 1.0mm thread.

These are only my opinions though.

Woooww!! Crimson looking good!! Thank you very much :)

Welcome.