Miquel

Sewing machine for make guitar straps

Hi, I would like to ask your opinion about wich leather sewing machine would recommend me for make mainly guitar straps.

I am thinking to make the guitar straps with two layers of leather, one of them around 2 mm. In the middle surely I will put some Foam.

I think the thicker that I would sew is around 8 mm. But mainly would be around 6 mm.

I would like to use, at least, 150 to 200 thread.

I was thinking about a Consew 206RB, But I would like to have some opinions, maybe you can suggest another machine,,,Any recomendation would be very apreciated, Best regards.

I have a Consew 206RB, and I have sewn a ton of guitar straps with it. These machines excel at tasks like belts and guitar straps, IMO. You can sew up to 3/8" thick with #138 thread. I think some of the machines can be adjusted to sew with #207 thread, but I think the machine runs best with #92 or #138 bonded nylon/polyester thread with #22 and #23 needles.

It use to take me several hours to hand stitch one guitar strap. With prep work and all, it takes me about 5 minutes or less now with the machine. You can set the edge guide, and sew around the perimeter super quick.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Hi my friend,  thanks for your reply. 

I would Like to use 207 thread up and 138 down. Less than this i don t Like so much... 

For me ser speed is not so important. Even I would Like to use a servo motor, maybe with reductors pulleys too.

So, i guess that this help to handle the bigger thread ( i don t know wether i am right about this point...)

Edited by Miquel

My Singer 111G156 can sew 207 but I barely do that. I don´t like running a machine on its limit all the time. These Singer 111 type machines from Consew, Juki, Seiko, Pfaff, Adler, Dürkopp... or other brands sometimes come in different setups and are usually not setup for thread this heavy. You probably have to adjust the hook saddle and need a throat plate and feed dog that can handle 207 thread and corresponding needles. Whereas the heavier class machines are usually setup for 207 or thinker when they come "out of the box".

For heavier thread I use my Singer 45D91 or 133K3 or one day my Singer 132K6. But I´m a "vintage machine dude" if you prefer new machines it depends on your budget and what machines brands available on your local market.

LW member Jimi is from Spain too. He also is using a lot of vintage Singer sewing machines maybe you can check with him - or he checks in here anyway ;) He probably knows the Spanish market better and has ideas where to get a proper machine - or he even has one for sale - you never know.

I like too the old machines, in fact, I was interested in buy an old Claes machine similar as one that You had, surely you remember i asked you about this machine.

But I was worried in order to find bobbins, shuttles If i need...Besides this particular machine that I have the possibility to buy, haven't the bobbin winder...

So, maybe an old machine would be good for me, can handle thick thread, but I am too afraid to buy it, for these reasons...

Maybe a singer brand would be easier to find replaces, but I can't find here, in Spain, easily.

I have too another machine in mind, It is a Global, but I don't know exactly the model, the seller don't know too. DEspite that It is an arm machine, I think that I can fix easily a table to be it flat and sew easily the guitar strap.

The only thing that I don't know is what thread can handle...

global.jpg

Hi Miquel, i am from Scotland but can speak to you in Spanish if you like. i have an old iron machine like folker was saying that can sew guitar straps no problem. it is the same type of machine as folkers but made in Scotland (C 1967). it is not a walking foot machine and will mark the bottom side of the leather so you will have to remember this. i think somebody will like this colour :lol:. you can send me a P.M. if you are interested. regards jimi.

DSC_0269.thumb.JPG.8d7b2abaef3430e8cea5efa41b621e84.JPG

If the guitar straps have brown or black suede splits on the back, a bottom feed machine won't be a problem. Nobody will notice tooth marks in dark suede.

Jimi's Singer can probably handle up to #277 thread (Tkt 10) without any problems. The bobbin should be large enough to let you sew about 7 or 8 straps per full bobbin load (with Tkt 10), and even more if you run #207 thread (Tkt 15) in the bobbin.

Jimi, is that a 132 series machine? I used to own a 132k6 that looked a lot like your machine.

A Singer 132k6 has a very large, vertical axis, round bobbin. It's at least twice the size of a Juki LU bobbin and holds a lot of heavy thread. If I recall correctly, those machines have a maximum stitch length of 2 to the inch - or about 12.5mm length and can sew with a #25 or even a #26 needle.

41 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

If the guitar straps have brown or black suede splits on the back, a bottom feed machine won't be a problem. Nobody will notice tooth marks in dark suede.

Jimi's Singer can probably handle up to #277 thread (Tkt 10) without any problems. The bobbin should be large enough to let you sew about 7 or 8 straps per full bobbin load (with Tkt 10), and even more if you run #207 thread (Tkt 15) in the bobbin.

Jimi, is that a 132 series machine? I used to own a 132k6 that looked a lot like your machine.

A Singer 132k6 has a very large, vertical axis, round bobbin. It's at least twice the size of a Juki LU bobbin and holds a lot of heavy thread. If I recall correctly, those machines have a maximum stitch length of 2 to the inch - or about 12.5mm length and can sew with a #25 or even a #26 needle.

Hi Wiz, no this is a 45k92 and gets i think max 6-7 mm stitch length. i changed the shuttle race over to the old 45k1 on the floor from 1895 and it was really beat up and is very worn, but it still sews

:lol:. the needle bar even wobbles a bit:rofl: i don´t think they make them like that anymore!

Edited by jimi

Hi Miquel - now I recall you - so you did not buy the CLAES harness machine? These machines are nice but you are right spare parts are no longer available and needles are a problem. A Singer 45K for sure is the better choice.

1 hour ago, jimi said:

i think somebody will like this colour :lol:.

who could that be :whistle:

Wiz - its a 45K with reverse.

JImi, I think I may have some 45K shuttle race parts but have to check. If you need a new needle bar I think the needle bars of the Chinese GA5-1 clones are the same.

Hi Folker, if you have a race kicking around that would be cool. i might check out that needle bar?? thanks. the other part that was broken on this old machine was the spring in the roller tension unit, these were different to the later ones so i could not fit the newer check springs on the post as it has a different diameter but the whole assembly from the newer type fits so that is what i done. but some day would like to put the old one on with the old type spring.

DSC_0269.thumb.JPG.017c5a21b3f0eaf5b88237f4443ed75d.JPG

OK.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:55 PM, Constabulary said:

Hi Miquel - now I recall you - so you did not buy the CLAES harness machine? These machines are nice but you are right spare parts are no longer available and needles are a problem. A Singer 45K for sure is the better choice.

who could that be :whistle:

Wiz - its a 45K with reverse.

Hi Folker, Finally i did not buy the Claes, i was woried if i need some replaces. 

Today i have bought the Consew. I have found IT for 500 euros, with clutch motor, but goes Very slow, even still Can change the pulley for An smaller one.

I think that now, for me, would bé better use thinner thread with the consew than goes for a more vintage màchine.

Edited by Miquel
Arran mistake writing

Either a Consew 206 RB-1 or RB-2, looks identical to my Consew 206 RB-1

Thanks for the replies. 

I will try to be sure about that, i am going to buy An edge guide roller, and IT seem that diferent models have diferent way for fix the engine... A mistake hereu would bé a bad bussines... 

simple edge rollers are quite universal fitting they mount to the flat bed with 2 or 1 thumb screws. You should have 2 threaded holes that line up with the presser feet