bikermutt07

Tripod Stool Hardware

7 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Chas, I don't even want to think about far east joinery. You seen where they attach beams end to end? Crazy stuff.

You don't have to think about it, once you learn a few simpler ones, you can continue to learn more detailed joinery.

You can see a few nice examples here: https://www.pinterest.ca/explore/japanese-joinery/

Imagine attempting a few of these, done only with mallet and razor sharp chisels. Chuckles

Ah well, probably not for the Canadian beaver. Or myself for that matter...

Chas

3 hours ago, ChasCS said:

We don't have to visit the stores to become a loyal customer. I checked the website, to see that they indeed have a Canadian location.

http://www.rockler.com/retail/stores/ca/ontario-store

You piqued my interest, so I went ahead and requested a free catalog.  Thanks.

http://go.rockler.com/catalog.cfm

I'm always interested in learning about fine wood working tools. ;-)

Chas

You had me excited until it became clear it is Ontario California... not the Ontario i am in.....

4 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

You had me excited until it became clear it is Ontario California... not the Ontario i am in.....

Yeah, but you already got Lee Valley.

18 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

Haha, you are correct. I had quickly read the address, and saw Ontario Ca. 

Pity, it should have read Ontario Can. ;-)

Ah yes, thankfully we do have our Canadian Lee Valley Tools, but you can still order the free Rockler catalog.

Chas

33 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Yeah, but you already got Lee Valley.

Mutt, this is all your fault. Hahahaha 

& I need to refresh my speed reading skills. Chuckles

Anyways, it seems we all have a great woodworking tool, supply chain.

Chas

3 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

Mutt, this is all your fault. Hahahaha 

& I need to refresh my speed reading skills. Chuckles

Anyways, it seems we all have a great woodworking tool, supply chain.

Chas

Now if I only had decent materials in town. No one here carries quality plywood.

55 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Now if I only had decent materials in town. No one here carries quality plywood.

That's got to be frustrating. Do Amazon ship lumber? Haha

But you said plywood. What are you building with it?

Suppose hard wood is not stable enough, or too pricey..

Chas

1 hour ago, ChasCS said:

That's got to be frustrating. Do Amazon ship lumber? Haha

But you said plywood. What are you building with it?

Suppose hard wood is not stable enough, or too pricey..

Chas

Just a suitable portable workbench for work. Can't get marine grade or MDO without spending 300 on shipping. With our humidity and rain here I wanted to build it out of one of those.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Just a suitable portable workbench for work. Can't get marine grade or MDO without spending 300 on shipping. With our humidity and rain here I wanted to build it out of one of those.

Yes, that makes sense. Humidity can really mess up good wood. 

$300 for shipping, yes, but you are dealing with 8' sheets. Seems like buying boards would be cheaper, but less effective for your moist conditions. You can find oriented strand board, there either?

Chas

6 hours ago, ChasCS said:

Yes, that makes sense. Humidity can really mess up good wood. 

$300 for shipping, yes, but you are dealing with 8' sheets. Seems like buying boards would be cheaper, but less effective for your moist conditions. You can find oriented strand board, there either?

Chas

If you mean OSB, then yeah, but that wouldn't last in the weather. I set up my cut station outside most of the time. When I get a chance to travel to Dallas maybe I can snag a sheet or two of MDO.

In the meantime, here are may tables I built.

Here is the pine table I built with dowel and pocket holes. We stained this one and put a piece of leathered finish fantasy brown granite on it.

KIMG0429-2080x1170.thumb.JPG.1f86de7d0f14f772e35c53beee7e13bf.JPG

Here is the oak table with m&t construction, linseed oil and quartz top.

KIMG0428-2080x1170.thumb.JPG.e1223cfa663898494e3cbeafff2725e6.JPG

I used half inch ply for both bottom shelves. And both are within a ⅛ of square across the tops of the frames on diagonal.

Enjoy.

Edited by bikermutt07

Hey, well I hope you can find some choice & stable sheets of wood for your projects. Those tables look great and I really like that top.

You are lucky to have access to such a wonderful countertop material. That would make a great leather work table. ;-)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you acquire your lumber... We have lots of places here, that carry pretty much all of it. Even exotic woods from other countries. Prices vary greatly.

Chas

57 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

Hey, well I hope you can find some choice & stable sheets of wood for your projects. Those tables look great and I really like that top.

You are lucky to have access to such a wonderful countertop material. That would make a great leather work table. ;-)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you acquire your lumber... We have lots of places here, that carry pretty much all of it. Even exotic woods from other countries. Prices vary greatly.

Chas

Thanks for the compliments. The leathered granite is awesome. It feels so good. I have to rub on it every time I walk by it. The leather finish is achieved by using diamond brushes so it has a smooth rippled effect with a sort of matte finish. It almost feels waxy.

I have been pondering taking a piece and applying a leathered finish to some leather with it. I think it will look really cool.

On the wood, thanks, but I don't think it would work out any cheaper. I do have family in Dallas and sometimes we make a trip for work, so it'll come together eventually.

It's nice to be in an industry where we have access to things we can use at home for our hobbies and other interests,

I've been in the situation myself, a few times. ;-) 

Yes one of those table tops would be very cool for a work center at home. You may send me one too. Hahaha

Chas

10 minutes ago, ChasCS said:

It's nice to be in an industry where we have access to things we can use at home for our hobbies and other interests,

I've been in the situation myself, a few times. ;-) 

Yes one of those table tops would be very cool for a work center at home. You may send me one too. Hahaha

Chas

Where are you located? If you or anyone else is ever passing through North West Louisiana hit me up. I have lots of pieces available at the house. 

Edited by bikermutt07

26 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Where are you located? If you or anyone else is ever passing through North West Louisiana hit me up. I have lots of pieces available at the house. 

My location is there, under my name. Edmonton Alberta Canada.

If I was to ever visit your awesome wet state, it would be with bow and arrows, for hunting alligators. ;-)

Thanks for the kind offer though. But if you want, you could fedex me a slab or two. Haha

I can just see the courier, trying to drag it off the truck. Chuckles.

With my luck, I wouldn't be home, and would need to go pick it up at the warehouse. On my SpYder RS-S. Fun. No thanks.

Chas

2 hours ago, ChasCS said:

My location is there, under my name. Edmonton Alberta Canada.

If I was to ever visit your awesome wet state, it would be with bow and arrows, for hunting alligators. ;-)

Thanks for the kind offer though. But if you want, you could fedex me a slab or two. Haha

I can just see the courier, trying to drag it off the truck. Chuckles.

With my luck, I wouldn't be home, and would need to go pick it up at the warehouse. On my SpYder RS-S. Fun. No thanks.

Chas

They'd break it.

On December 26, 2017 at 3:50 PM, bikermutt07 said:

They'd break it.

I wouldn't accept broken merchandise.

Take it back... Please!!

Mutt , I thought this carpentry would be of interest to you. 

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

Thanks Chas.